Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #71
shelmarie
Hatchling

thanks i think i have been spoiling them slightly and treating them like i would flowers, i think i'm killing them with kindness. i'll try leaving them to it, they're in a really warm living room near two torts so theres a lot of heat and im a bit unsure on how often to water the.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #72
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelmarie View Post
thanks i think i have been spoiling them slightly and treating them like i would flowers, i think i'm killing them with kindness. i'll try leaving them to it, they're in a really warm living room near two torts so theres a lot of heat and im a bit unsure on how often to water the.
I would move them to a cool room and leave the soil to dry out between watering.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #73
shelmarie
Hatchling

ok thanks, trial and error i'll some good ones one day
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #74
rocio
Hatchling

When trying to grow plants in trays in the winter,the main reason they grow leggy and spindly is because they don't get enough light and possibly,they are kept too warm which will make them shoot up rather than grow steadily. They need direct, overhead light,fairly close to the seed tray/container. If you have them on a windowsill,they will bend to the light. As soon as the plants are up a few inches they still need overhead light but need to be kept cooler otherwise they will grow up too quickly. Pure compost is probably too rich for weed seeds so a good thing to do is to mix with some garden/top soil. If you use just garden soil,this will pack hard in a container/seed tray and become hard and will crack. A conservatory or greenhouse is good as the new seedlings will get all round light. As long as there is no frost,the young plants need hardening off otherwise they will be soft and fall over so a cold frame is a good idea,offering top light but protection from the elephants!
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #75
simon7800
Egg

Hi,

Im new to all this and looking to get a tortoise in next couple of months. I read somewhere on a forum about growing plants inside the tortoise table, whats the best way to do this?
simon7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #76
Mighty_Quinn
Hatchling

I planted my seed mix a weeks ago and some shoots have grown tall
(4-5 inches) and thin but Still look ok, how soon can I plant them into tortoise table for eating?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #77
suttysue
Sub Adult

well I use supermarket meat trays the deeper ones of course. just put some potting compost in the trays spinkle some seeds on then place a thin layer of the compost on top of the seeds. I then give them a good soak with a spray bottle and put then in on a windowsill. I always keep spraying them on a daily basis to keeep the compost moist as it dries out very quickly. You will be amazed how quickly they come up. Using the meat trays means when the trays are full of weeds you can just put the tray in the table for tort to forage as and when they like you can even keep the watering going to encourage the weeds to keep growing.
Hope this all makes sence
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote