Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 12-02-2020, 10:58 PM   #11
burnt toast
Adult

I am so sorry to hear your sad news Mark.
Just out of interest, what substrate was Munster on?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
Gordon
Adult

Hi Mark
I'm so so sorry to read this and also sorry I haven't responded when you asked for help but having the odd little issue myself to deal with.
Unfortunately tortoises are very good at hiding illness and usually unless it's an obvious one like runny nose by the time its noticed and it's no fault of the keeper it is often to late so dont feel bad and think it was something you did or didn't do unfortunately it just happens.
But going forward dont give in and I think after the great loss you and your family are going through it would be good to pick yourself up and get a replacement as to which when mine are up and egg laying I would be happy to gift you one if you feel it's what you want so let me know and I would be only to happy to do this.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 12:51 AM   #13
markbigears
Incubating

Hi Gordon, that's an incredibly kind gesture am I'm genuinely touched by your kind offer.
At the moment I'm sitting in bed crying my eyes out as I type this and going over and over what has happened to our little buddy. My wife suggested we might, after a period of time acquire another, but I'm so shook up right now that's the last thing on my mind.
She went down so quick, within a couple of days of being an active, feeding rascle, to a lethargic none eating tortoise and sudden demise. Unless I get a post mortem, which I expect would be many hundreds, I'll never know, and that really hurts me, the not knowing.
The boy has taken it really bad, we all have. Who would think that a crazy little reptile could have had such an impact on our lives, people wouldn't believe you and think your mad.
All I can say is love your precious ones, they are incredible creatures.
Old 13-02-2020, 03:10 AM   #14
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbigears View Post
Hi Gordon, that's an incredibly kind gesture am I'm genuinely touched by your kind offer.
At the moment I'm sitting in bed crying my eyes out as I type this and going over and over what has happened to our little buddy. My wife suggested we might, after a period of time acquire another, but I'm so shook up right now that's the last thing on my mind.
She went down so quick, within a couple of days of being an active, feeding rascle, to a lethargic none eating tortoise and sudden demise. Unless I get a post mortem, which I expect would be many hundreds, I'll never know, and that really hurts me, the not knowing.
The boy has taken it really bad, we all have. Who would think that a crazy little reptile could have had such an impact on our lives, people wouldn't believe you and think your mad.
All I can say is love your precious ones, they are incredible creatures.
Trust me we all understand where you are coming from and like I said quite often you cant tell until it's to late. As for the post mortem I have never had one done and yes I've lost tortoises but I do know of people that have paid lots of money to get no positive diagnosis due to being to young. Sometimes unfortunately it's just one of things.
As I said the offer is there and I have a very dear friend who has told me she has a few babies left and is only to happy to offer one aswell so as well as being an odd bunch we are all big softies.
I know its easy to say but please dont give in thinking it was something you did and as I was told today real men do cry.

Last edited by Gordon; 13-02-2020 at 03:13 AM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #15
markbigears
Incubating

Thank you for your hearthfelt words of wisdom Gordon, I do really appreciate it and again for the most generous offer from your kind self and your friend.
If we ever do reconsider, i'll get in touch. I forgot what a great bunch you are on this forum, i'll have to get back on. Take care and all the best, Mark
Old 22-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

sorry to hear your sad news Mark. I think we can all say it's happened to us in so many shapes and sizes, and it does get a little better, even the not knowing. I have heard of people getting post mortems and in my experience they seem to always come back with chronic congenital conditions or kidney problems as they grow bigger....ie they are born like it. You just need to know you gave her an amazing life and torn from you but can do again with another little creature once the tear has healed.