Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 16-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

The problem with a 6 month warranty is that if you buy the bulb in April you might only use it for 2 of the next 6 months
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
The problem with a 6 month warranty is that if you buy the bulb in April you might only use it for 2 of the next 6 months
Unbelievable! 24 hours later my words come back to haunt me. I put the lamps on this morning and one of them was flickering and was much less bright than the other, after a few minutes it went off. I switched it off and checked all the fittings and tried again, same carry on only there is a buzzing noise and burning smell to go with it. I tried it a third time and it went off again. This was the one with the much higher UVB output too .

Less than 8 months old and used for only about 5 of those. I'm now left with one Megaray that has too low a UVB output to be any use after 5 months use and a Solarglo that's even lower and a flickering/cutting out Megaray that is about to blow up or go on fire.

I am seriously considering going for the compacts or tubes now as I now need two more bulbs and that would be £300 spent on MVB's in 13 months. At least the tubes are more reliable even if less effective
Old 17-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Oh Alan,

Sorry to hear your bulbs are playing you up big time.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Alan isn't on his own in having problems with the lamps. On the whole I've been lucky but I've had a failure (with a MegaRay) as well - the problem where the metal part where the electrical contacts are unscrews from the glass. I seem to be reading of smoking bulbs, premature UVB failure, balasts that don't work, bulbs that flicker etc etc and its not just MegaRay of course, all makes seem plagued with problems.

The metal halide lamps were the 'next big thing' in reptile lighting but several people I know have had bad experiences with those as well - and again it is not just one make.

The manufacturers need to get their act together. These products are not cheap but the quality is not consistent and the frequency of failure is unacceptable.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 17-01-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #15
chunkymunky
Hatched

I use tubes & heat bulbs!

0.1.0 Horsfield
0.2.0 Chidren
1.0.0 Spouse
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

It is, it's a disgrace. I wouldn't mind if they were like £20 and you got 5 months out them but not £50. I have currently 2 bulbs running both of which are giving off UVB that is too low, A solarglo and a Megaray. I am wondering whether to get 2 compacts to use along with them, would that work? The bulbs are obviously still giving good light and heat (but for how long?)
I've had it with these combined bulbs like.. unless 160w are perhaps more reliable?
Old 17-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

I think we should get a new thread going about problems and experiences with bulbs and manufacturers, if it was a factual list then maybe some useful data might be able to be extracted and might form a basis for a company to either improve on their product or replace it with a better one.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #18
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Megarays are great once you get one that actually work. I'm on my 3rd and only paid for one. Its just over a year old now. It works fine most of the time but there is an odd occassion when it overheats or flickers, but I turn it off and allow it to cool for half an hour or so and than put it back on.
I agree that the quality of these bulbs aren't great most of the time, in my experience and they're certainly not cheap to replace when they do go. I'm going to touch my tortoise table when I say that so far this bulb I have has lasted ok so far with not too many hiccups. *braces myself for bulb to blow*
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #19
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire_Ade View Post
I think we should get a new thread going about problems and experiences with bulbs and manufacturers, if it was a factual list then maybe some useful data might be able to be extracted and might form a basis for a company to either improve on their product or replace it with a better one.
Good idea Ade.

I've only used Solarglos and Megarays but they have been as bad as each other
Old 17-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #20
Alex
Juvenile

My megarays have been fine really, I've bought about 6 or 7 and only had a problem with one (which had to be replaced). I buy mine from Kimbos as I know if I've got a problem Darren will sort it out.