Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Rehoming

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Geomyda
Adult

Default Noah's Ark Birdham, Sussex

The Chichester Observer front page reports that this rescue centre is going to close in October. They are asking for enquiries in order to rehome 500 reptiles. The reason given is that they are unable to raise the funds to keep going.
This is a real shame, as they really try to do a good job. They hold a significant population of Chelonia, both Tortoises and Terrapins.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Box girl
Sub Adult

I have been there albeit some time ago as I used to live in Sussex.
What a shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
The Chichester Observer front page reports that this rescue centre is going to close in October. They are asking for enquiries in order to rehome 500 reptiles. The reason given is that they are unable to raise the funds to keep going.
This is a real shame, as they really try to do a good job. They hold a significant population of Chelonia, both Tortoises and Terrapins.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
kezia911
Hatched

I also read the article in the observer and find it really sad that they are having to close due to financial dificulties.
I tried to contact them by phone and email to see if there was any thing that could be done to help keep it open. But sadly as yet i've not had a response.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Easter Bunny
Adult

I belong to a boxer dog forum and every so often they do auctions ( doggy stuff). Every member donates a item or more to the auction and list it themselves on the auction thread ( so each person is responsible for posting item to the winner). All proceeds go to a boxer rescue.

I know this wouldn't save rescue centers but the ones left open might benefit from the donations.

lynne x
Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Evie
Sub Adult

Really sad news.

It is a lovely place and one I would have recommended - it is such a shame.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

is it not a case of the zoo licence thing again though, like some of the others and isn't it £100,000 or something?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
is it not a case of the zoo licence thing again though, like some of the others and isn't it £100,000 or something?
Alan, Though I am sure, the cost of complying with Zoo licence is an issue, I firmly suspect that the high overhead costs of running a Reptile rescue sanctuary, in large part, centres around energy cost. To heat these animals during cold winters in large horticultural Greenhouse is a high cost indeed and recent rises in energy bills represents a massive problem.
To maintain the position, increased revenues are required, and much needed public support. Increased attendence, innovative fund raising and probably very deep pockets from owners are all necessary ingredients for continued operation!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
samincornwall
Hatched

Does anyone know the latest with these guys?

I love my tortoises, Glastonbury (And most other festivals) and Leonard Cohen.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by samincornwall View Post
Does anyone know the latest with these guys?
I visited them today and currently the plan is to close later this year. Hopefully, the publicity and genuine public appeal might find some acceptable alternative to this sad state of affairs.
Old 18-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
alicia
Adult

if this is the place i'm thinking of...... i did a few weeks work experience there when i was studying animal management at college. in the time i was there quite a few of the animals actually died!
in mine, and my college friends opinion the animals there went kept all that nicely. all the tortoises were in vivariums they could have cooked in they were so hot! trying to scrape their way out the glass whilst having crickets running about inside their enclosure with some moldy lettuce left on the floor or left to soak up the remainder of water in their water dish. the smaller animals like rabbits and guinea pigs were covered in poo, escaping and getting in each others runs! and the other small rodents (degu's hamsers) pretty much all had painful looking over grown teeth ect. i think the animals will be better of being re homed instead of 'rescued' at this place.

0.0.2 graeca ibera
Closed Thread