Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 25-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
*laura*

Default my naughty torty!

hey everyone, i took shelly to the vet today to have his beak trimmed, ive introduced him to cuttle fish and rocks and stuff now, but needed to get his beak down to start from scratch.

i had a call from the vet half way through the day saying there was nothing they could do for him, as he wouldnt open his mouth at all, not even to eat, it was wedged shut, hes soooo stubborn!

when i picked him up, i was told to feed him on hard food such as sprouts and cauliflower (sorry cant spell that) is this ok for him to eat?!?
Old 25-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Toni115
Adult

hi laura, dont know about the sprouts or cauliflower,but does shelly have a piece of slate in his enclosure? when i feed mine i put the food onto a piece of slate, as i know many others do, the beak scrapes this as they eat and helps to keep it down.
Old 25-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
laine21
Hatchling

HI I have just done a search, and the results all say NO to both of these, just use the search facility above to see all the information and answers for both these veg.
Laraine
laine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
tortoiseguy
Sub Adult

Sprouts and Caullie are brassicas and not suitable for tortoises. I would change vets as they obvioulsy dont have a clue
tortoiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
*laura*

omg, cant believe they told me to feed him them! i didnt think they were allowed to eat them, thats why i asked on here first.

ive been putting shelly food on cuttle fish and slate for a while, but as his beak had already overgrown i wanted to sort that out then start again!

are there any other hard sort of foods that can be fed to him also?
Old 25-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
terrypin
Adult

hi i dont think your vet has much experience or knowledge of tortoises why cant he trim shellys beak i know my vet wouldnt give up so easily also to advise the feeding of brassicas is to say the least a little strange. my baby tortoises are all fed weeds on concrete slabs then they have access to grass when they graze this makes the jaws work hard i have never had to trim a beak since raising them this way.if you keep them on short grass you will see how hard they pull to tear some off i feel this is far better than a bowl of cut food.
Old 25-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

If you have any sowthistles then give them a chew on the thick stems (taller sowthisles have
thick stems). I have done this to help one of mine with similar problems.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Caroline McI
Hatchling

I fed my older one cauliflower (amongst all other wrong foods) for years following the "ok" from the breeder I got her from

I've felt really upset at all the things I'd been doing which have resulted in her having bad pyramiding and not really being able to life her bum up high when she walks. The times I asked him if everything I was doing was adequate........
Caroline McI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
terrypin
Adult

dont blame yourself, hatching eggs and selling hatchlings does not a breeder make.perhaps if they would raise a few hatchlings themselves they would learn from experience and stop giving out poor information.
terry
Old 25-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
*laura*

the vet said as shelly wouldnt open his mouth, hes very determined when he wants to be, there is no way the could have opened his mouth if he didnt want them to, but that is why they couldnt trim his beak.

ive taken on bored everything you have all said though and i intend on putting it into practice to get his ikkle nose back into shape!