Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
crazychris2409
Egg

Default how do you know if your outdoor enclosure is ready?

ive been building a shed for my leopard on and off for a few months now (only being able to do bits and bobs on it in-between work and college) and now ive only got a few little things to finish off now...

my leopard is getting far too big for his table and i can see that he isnt happy, and his table is quite large, so the plan is to put him outside for most of the year, (obviously bringing him inside when the weather gets really bad) so now im in a bit of a rush to get it finished.

my question is.. how can i make sure that the shed is 100% safe and right for my tortoise, how do i test that the tempretures can be kept up and test for drafts and things, sorry if these are stupid questions i just want to make sure it right, thank you
crazychris2409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

I suggest you do a test run for a few days with the heating. Then start opening windows. If your tortoise is going to spend quite a lot of time in the shed, rather than outside, you do need to make sure the shed does not overheat. I know some people use a fan to circulate the air. The trouble is you can go out for the day and its cold and later, it warms up and then you think I must get home to check the tortoise!
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Catwoman63
Adult

The changing weather and temperatures are a problem with the shed yes, and its exactly what Shelled Lady said...as in the morning it could be cold and p***ing down then turn hot and sunny in the afternoon, and im at work, so the shed can get extremely hot with the heat lamp on in it all day, I leave their hutch open from 7.30am to 8.30pm so it lets the air in and some of the heat out...plus they can go outside if it gets too hot anyway. When i get home from work i open the shed door slightly to release more heat if it is above 36c. To be honest i think they like it really hot in there, they are always in it even when its lovely and warm outside lol.

Ive just ordered a 3ft x 3ft x 3ft mini greenhouse type thingy that i am going to temporarily attach to the outside of the shed where the tortoise hutch is, as with all this bad weather at least they can come outside without getting soaking wet if they want to but be outside of the heat x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote