Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
XxBeckyxX
Egg

Default Leopard Pyramid

Ive had my leopard tort for about 2 years now and shes (guessing sex) not growing very much at all and she looks to be pyramiding quite a bit she has a uv light in thats only 4 months old but she did stay at my mums for about 8 months while i got my new house set up and i suspect the uv ran out/ got too old and she didnt give her any calci powder on her foods but she did have a cuttle fish avaliable at all times, could this be causeing the pyramiding ? Also i cant get her to eat ANY grasses ive tried all sorts and tortoise pellets she will only eat wet vegetables and leaves so i think this may be causing it too what can i do to help her eat her grasses and grow properly. She has a white ring that has recently developed and im thinking this is shell growth but im really not sure any advice will be helpfull please x
XxBeckyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
crazychris2409
Egg

im not too sure about the pryamiding, but what i will say about the grass and adding new foods, is chop it up really small and mix it in with what you currently feeding her, each time gradually putting more in, start with small amounts at first, just so she doesnt really notice that shes eating it. she may grow to like it. hope this helps a little bit
crazychris2409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
terig
Hatched

When I got my leopards (I took them on as rehomers), George was really really underweight. To get him to gain weight I gave him and still do pellets called Pretty Pellets.

I also make sure that they also receive plantin, grasses and various other foods (a bit like the kids, a varied diet). George also has really bad prymiding which was a result of his previous owner. I know it cannot be put right but all I can say is make sure all their needs as in temps, varied diet, lights etc are met and im sure it will help.

There are more people on here that have loads more experience than me so im sure you will get some good advice x
terig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
littlestar
Hatched

no one knows for sure why pyramiding occurs its down to a number of courses from diet, humidity, etc. 2 of my stars are from the same breeder 1 has no pyramiding the other has slight pyramiding they have both been kept in the same conditions but the female eats like a pig so could it be down to overfeeding? or something else? could even be down to genetics no one knows for sure.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
onarock
Hatched

I would provide a humid hide box for the tortoise. Also make sure the tortoise is well hydrated. Keep water available at all times. If your tortoise cant make use of the water dish/bowl or just cant seem to figure it out... soak him/her for 10 to 15 minutes in room temp water. There are all sorts of theories out there about pyramiding, but I suspect its caused by poor hydration. Couple poor hydration with a tortoise being unable to preserve the hydration it does have and you can have a myriad of issues. Good luck
Old 13-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
XxBeckyxX
Egg

Thanks for all the help people, shes got a large bowl in her viv tht is always clean and half full so she can soak but not drown in it, she is always in and out of it too Ive strted to give her water cress and rocket and some weeds to wean her on to them chopping them up pretty small for her too so hope fully this will help too Thanks again
Old 14-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
littlestar
Hatched

would look at buying some pre alpin (dried weeds/grass)would go for the baby type my torts love it.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
XxBeckyxX
Egg

She wont eat anything dired, even if i soak it in water she knows its not fresh and refuses to eat it
Old 15-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
EJ
Adult

Try crushing up a good complete formulated diet and sprinkling that on the food she will eat. You can also soak complete formulated diet pellets and mix in some fruit babyfood for flavor until the tortoise gets going on the diet.

The number one consideration in any tortoise care is going to be temperature. The next important consideration is going to be hydration. These two factors allow everything else to take place.

Check this out if you haven't seen it already...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sulcata-Leop...ref=pd_sim_b_1
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
chrismould
Incubating

The viv won't be helping try a tortoise table or a rabbit cage.