Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 15-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
abee_fell_
Hatched

Great advice everyone thanks! I'll be sure to get some newspaper in there after Wednesday night then and then you reckon leave it till the weekend to put new soil in! I'd love to come on the 11th I'll put it in my diary! Will there be somewhere to keep the monsters warm for a few hours as they're still very small it'd be lovely to finally meet some people from these forums after all the wonderful advice! x
abee_fell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
abee_fell_
Hatched

Default Update on Honey and Mustard!

Hi everyone!
Just got back from the vets and just to confirm, it was oxyurids that was found in their poo samples; theyve been treated with their first course tonight and need to go back in two weeks for a second, then in 4 weeks i have to take more poo samples to get rechecked. Does this all sound routine? Not sure on the treatment used hadn't got my glasses on so couldn't read the screen with their records!

I've took all their soil and substrate out and going to sterilise the enclosure and all their bits and pieces tonight and keep them on newspaper and bark chips until the weekend, is this all ok too?

I believe someone mentioned giving them natural yoghurt too, how often shall i do this and how much should I give them as they're only 67/9grams heavy!

Am I doing everything right guys? I'm so worried about them, had a terrible dream too last night about them which didn't help matters! Thanks, Abee x
Old 17-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Nothing sounds wrong to me. Could you maybe not get hold of some Reptiboost or similar instead of giving them live yogurt? I don't agree with giving tortoises something that contains milk. They wouldn't digest it and it would probably go straight through them. Not something I would feed tortoises that have just been wormed and haven't been eating well recently.
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
abee_fell_
Hatched

Oh ok, yep I can pop to the pet store after work and pick some up, I was just going on suggestions - reptiboost is the stuff you put in their bath water isn't it?
Old 17-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Yup, that's the stuff
Old 18-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
Box girl
Sub Adult

The torts have worms so live yoghurt is not needed.

If you had read my post fully you would have seen I said you could buy the natural bacteria from a health food shop if you did not wish to give yoghurt. The yoghurt was suggetsed by a VET as a way of getting the natural gut flora back into the animal. If they have Flagellates or ballantidium then the treatment is MDZ this is particularly nasty and kills ALL gut flora. The tort then exhibits thesame symptoms but due to NO bacteria. Yoghurt or the capsules containing the same bateria puts that flora back. I have used this for many years with success with my reds and yellows.

Reptiboost I am not sure but I don't believe it contains the same bacteria or sufficient to restart the gut. I am ahppy to be corrected though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M View Post
Nothing sounds wrong to me. Could you maybe not get hold of some Reptiboost or similar instead of giving them live yogurt? I don't agree with giving tortoises something that contains milk. They wouldn't digest it and it would probably go straight through them. Not something I would feed tortoises that have just been wormed and haven't been eating well recently.
Helen xx

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box girl View Post
The yoghurt was suggetsed by a VET as a way of getting the natural gut flora back into the animal.

Reptiboost I am not sure but I don't believe it contains the same bacteria or sufficient to restart the gut. I am ahppy to be corrected though.
Even if yogurt was recommended by a vet I still wouldn't feed it to a tortoise. Reptiles don't produce lactase so they wouldn't be able to cope with lactose in their digestive system.
I don't see how yogurt could be all that beneficial when it would probably be passed through the digestive tract very quickly due to it not being digested properly. It would probably cause more problems than anything. Lactose-intolerant humans have uncomfortable symptoms and it probably causes similar problems in tortoises.

Your entitled to your opinion of course but I would rather a more suitable alternative specifically designed for this problem in reptiles being suggested; such as reptiboost or nutribac. Both of which contain bacteria and electrolytes.
http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...100g-p-63.html
http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...-df-p-231.html
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
burnt toast
Adult

Default I think Avipro is the stuff you need

Hi I think the product you need is Avipro. I used it after mine were wormed using Drontal puppy. It replaces good bacteria, its in powder form & you just sprinkle it on their food, it contains some vitamins too, so not on the same days as Nutrabal. I was advised to use it for about two weeks. Dont start using it though till after they have been wormed & youve had a clear on the faeces sample.

I see you live near me. I know a place locally that stocks it, dont think im allowed to name them so if you pm me I will give you details.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #19
Evie
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burno View Post
Hi I think the product you need is Avipro. I used it after mine were wormed using Drontal puppy. It replaces good bacteria, its in powder form & you just sprinkle it on their food, it contains some vitamins too, so not on the same days as Nutrabal. I was advised to use it for about two weeks. Dont start using it though till after they have been wormed & youve had a clear on the faeces sample.

I see you live near me. I know a place locally that stocks it, dont think im allowed to name them so if you pm me I will give you details.
Thats the one - I have used it after metronidozole for my Leopards - but dont usually bother after panacur.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote