Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #21
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
We are snowed in.
Not the most flattering picture of me.
Not much better down here Gordon, and between there and here I think it's quite snowy and more to come later today, the A303 is blocked at chicklaid and mere. Not good !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #22
emma_mcraf
Adult

We’ve had it bad too. Snow is higher than the doors, but managed to get out and shovel and brush off the decking boards. The snow is about 8’’ and covered overnight by freezing rain so has a top layer of ice. Thankfully no one has to go anywhere so we’re just embracing it. We’re in the ‘Red Zone’, which is odd as I’m so used to seeing the East coast, Wales, Midlands and Scotland get it bad, but never much here. There definitely hasn’t been this sort of snowfall in my adult life, so I’m glad the kids are all old enough to remember it when they’re older.

Gordon, I can barely see you! Amazing that you actually have yourself covered up. I’ve only ever seen you in shorts and of course you always visit Mary in your thong!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #23
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
We’ve had it bad too. Snow is higher than the doors, but managed to get out and shovel and brush off the decking boards. The snow is about 8’’ and covered overnight by freezing rain so has a top layer of ice. Thankfully no one has to go anywhere so we’re just embracing it. We’re in the ‘Red Zone’, which is odd as I’m so used to seeing the East coast, Wales, Midlands and Scotland get it bad, but never much here. There definitely hasn’t been this sort of snowfall in my adult life, so I’m glad the kids are all old enough to remember it when they’re older.

Gordon, I can barely see you! Amazing that you actually have yourself covered up. I’ve only ever seen you in shorts and of course you always visit Mary in your thong!
When I lived in Hastings we had such a snow fall in 1962, some places even higher with snow drifting. The snow we have at the moment is not a touch on that. We have had this amount of snow in 2009 in Kent. I just think we have gotten very complacent about snow and are just not prepared for it. Everyone knew the snow was coming but councils didnt do enough as usual.
My husband was out with the bags of salt I have had since 2009 to clear the drive etc:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #24
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
When I lived in Hastings we had such a snow fall in 1962, some places even higher with snow drifting. The snow we have at the moment is not a touch on that. We have had this amount of snow in 2009 in Kent. I just think we have gotten very complacent about snow and are just not prepared for it. Everyone knew the snow was coming but councils didnt do enough as usual.
My husband was out with the bags of salt I have had since 2009 to clear the drive etc:0)
Was that the Big Freeze of 62/63 they covered in the Christmas special and start of the current series of ‘Call the Midwife’, Sandy?

We’ve only experienced blizzard conditions in Paris before. We used to live near the coast in Devon and never really had much more than a couple of centimetres settling. So this has been a bit of a novelty.

Keeping those bags of salt for years was worth it!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #25
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Was that the Big Freeze of 62/63 they covered in the Christmas special and start of the current series of ‘Call the Midwife’, Sandy?

We’ve only experienced blizzard conditions in Paris before. We used to live near the coast in Devon and never really had much more than a couple of centimetres settling. So this has been a bit of a novelty.

Keeping those bags of salt for years was worth it!
Yes thats the freeze. We had standpipes to be able to get water, as pipes froze. No central heating. But the community spirit was alive and well. Everyone helping each other. Which seems to have disappeared over time. It seems everyone for themselves now. We are one of the only ones in our part of road to have cleared (well husband has) our drive three days running and saltinging the drive with bags of salt I still had from 2009 the last large amount of snow:0)
Our daughter in the south of France actually had snow the week before us, and very high winds.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #26
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Isn't it nice now the afternoons are getting lighter, although it's still Blumin cold, it does feel sort of like spring is just around the corner. Now I've said that, we will probably have a foot of snow, anyway just a few more weeks and I'll be getting the torts up.
Ha ! I love that picky of you Gordon - I would have stuck a carrot on your nose and said I made a snow man ! x x

Old 03-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #27
Suze65
Adult

My garden has disappeared , the cold frames are no where to be seen, the wooden bourd dividing up the garden have gone too, it's just deep snow, about 8inches .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #28
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
My garden has disappeared , the cold frames are no where to be seen, the wooden bourd dividing up the garden have gone too, it's just deep snow, about 8inches .
You must have had more snow than us, as I can see the frames etc, but not the grass that has at least 3inchs of snow. But our drive and paths are clear because we salted them:0)

Old 03-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #29
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
You must have had more snow than us, as I can see the frames etc, but not the grass that has at least 3inchs of snow. But our drive and paths are clear because we salted them:0)
Think we have been very lucky as the small amount of snow we had has now nearly thawed and the lawn has come back!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #30
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
Think we have been very lucky as the small amount of snow we had has now nearly thawed and the lawn has come back!
We have had sunshine most of today and I must say what snow we have had has nearly gone thankfully:0)