Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Sally
Egg

Question Help! New owner!

Hi, I've just inherited a tortoise called Willy. He is approximately 60 years old and I think he is a hermanns. He has always lived outside, sleeping in a hutch at night. He's not eaten for a couple of weeks and he's tucked himself away in his hutch and not come out for 2 days. I think he has gone into hibernation but from what I've read it's too early. He has also always hibernated outside in his hutch but I'm also worried about that too!
Any advice anyone?
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
Sally
Egg

Any advice anyone?
Old 19-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

Yep loads first don't panic he knows what he is doing and if it warms up will possibly come out again if so don't worry as with all old torts that are left outside they are used to doing their own thing so let him sleep if he wants but keep an eye on the temps and once it is cold enough that he won't wake up I would bring him into a garage if you have one in his box and keep him there over winter.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
Hi, I've just inherited a tortoise called Willy. He is approximately 60 years old and I think he is a hermanns. He has always lived outside, sleeping in a hutch at night. He's not eaten for a couple of weeks and he's tucked himself away in his hutch and not come out for 2 days. I think he has gone into hibernation but from what I've read it's too early. He has also always hibernated outside in his hutch but I'm also worried about that too!
Any advice anyone?
Do you know how he was kept before?
As this would help us to help you more)
And a photo for correct ID would help too.
Tortoises especially ones kept mostly outside, do know what they are doing. Its the keepers that dont:0)
Provided he has had no food for a few weeks then its possible he will be ok.
My tortoises are kept outside (they do have a greenhouse with heat) but have no extra heat from April until around frost time. I stop giving extra foods around the end of August, but they can come out (they come and go as they please) to graze what is around the garden. They have shorter days as the light levels drop. They are now shut in the GH and two have dug down into the garden soil already.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Sally
Egg

He has always just done his own thing in the past, and part of me thinks it's worked for this long so don't meddle but I'm so worried as it's my first winter with him! He apparently takes himself off to his hutch and stays there for the winter, his previous owner didn't even bring him in, but I think I will!
Old 20-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

I agree with the others, he's an old timer and he knows what he's doing. My only concern is that if he's just in a rabbit hutch outside, there is the potential for him to freeze if the winter temps drop below 5c, as Sandy has said, hers hibernate in a green house, and they dig down into the soil, and there is a green house heater on a thermostat , so if the temps drop below 5c this kicks in , so they don't freeze.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
He has always just done his own thing in the past, and part of me thinks it's worked for this long so don't meddle but I'm so worried as it's my first winter with him! He apparently takes himself off to his hutch and stays there for the winter, his previous owner didn't even bring him in, but I think I will!
This depends a lot on where the hutch is.
If its in a frost free place then it might well be fine, but frost can and does kill or blind tortoises.
I would advise making sure if he is in the hutch he has protection from frost.

The previous keeper might well have done other things to help protect him from frost or temps below 5c.
Its very easy to say he looked after himself, I say that about my tortoise too. But they have a lot of input and experience from me. I have had my tortoises over 35yrs and know most of their habits and foibles. And its as much part of my life as theirs. And I forget the things I actually do for them. Especially when telling others about torts.
If its possible to get more info from the previous owners it will help you to help your tortoise.
Very low temps and tortoises dont go together:0)

Old 20-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
Sally
Egg

The previous owners kept him outside in his hutch while he hibernated but I will be bringing him in when it gets colder as I don't want to risk the frost
Old 20-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
burnt toast
Adult

To save disturbing him you could leave him in his hutch, keep a kean eye on the weather forcast & its going to get really cold move the hutch somewhere: garage, outbuilding etc with electricity supply and just use a small tubular heater to keep frost from the immediate area he is in.

I used to hibernate mine in a concrete garage & sectioned off an area at the back with sheets of 4 x 2 x 2" thick polystrene from Wickses diy. (Its tongue & grooved so holds together nicely) torts were double boxed in usual way & i only had a 2 ft tube on a thermostat, just to take the chill off not get too warm. (I placed the boxes in a "u shape" around the heater, so none were directly in front of it or too close. I draped old blankets etc to block any gaps...it worked very well

Dont forget: its colder on the floor, warmer up on a shelf ( but must make sure box is well closed & secure if placing on a shelf for a while)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #10
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
To save disturbing him you could leave him in his hutch, keep a kean eye on the weather forcast & its going to get really cold move the hutch somewhere: garage, outbuilding etc with electricity supply and just use a small tubular heater to keep frost from the immediate area he is in.

I used to hibernate mine in a concrete garage & sectioned off an area at the back with sheets of 4 x 2 x 2" thick polystrene from Wickses diy. (Its tongue & grooved so holds together nicely) torts were double boxed in usual way & i only had a 2 ft tube on a thermostat, just to take the chill off not get too warm. (I placed the boxes in a "u shape" around the heater, so none were directly in front of it or too close. I draped old blankets etc to block any gaps...it worked very well

Dont forget: its colder on the floor, warmer up on a shelf ( but must make sure box is well closed & secure if placing on a shelf for a while)
This is also what I used to do when I boxed my tortoises. Great info, also having a thermometer wherever you put the box, can help you get an idea of temps.
Also an attic is not a good idea (just in case you think of it) as temps vary to much in an attic. You need somewhere where temps dont fluctuate too much.

Tags
help me, hibernation