Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
ScaryToastMonster
Egg

Default Sulcata and Leopard

Hi all, hitting a bit of a tricky situation with our 2 torts. They have a fully insulated heated indoor home. Last year they mooched out in the garden to feed and went back indoors. This year however, since the weather has got colder I'm continuously finding them asleep out in the cold. Is there anyway I can get them to head home or is it a case of keeping an eye on them? They won't eat grass, weeds or hay in their house and love it fresh from the garden only. Starting to worry about them staying out all day whilst I'm at work.

Thanks, Martin
Old 04-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryToastMonster View Post
Hi all, hitting a bit of a tricky situation with our 2 torts. They have a fully insulated heated indoor home. Last year they mooched out in the garden to feed and went back indoors. This year however, since the weather has got colder I'm continuously finding them asleep out in the cold. Is there anyway I can get them to head home or is it a case of keeping an eye on them? They won't eat grass, weeds or hay in their house and love it fresh from the garden only. Starting to worry about them staying out all day whilst I'm at work.

Thanks, Martin
They are ok all the time they are warm, but once their body temps drop then they will stay put.
I would suggest unless you can get home during the day that they stay inside:0(

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

As sandy says they are ok till they get cold and leopards do not do well if they get cold they will end up with rns.
I had the same problem with mine which are very large Leo's they want out all the time which I only do now if it's above 10 which is a bit rare this time year but even then even though it feels warm the ground will be cold.
I only leave them out for an hour or two tops then shut them in.
As for food they will eat eventually so don't worry I give mine grass/weeds and some junk food ie romain letuice a bit of cabbage and the odd tomato and they will eat some of it I also keep them on dried redi grass of which they will eat also I supply a water dish as they do like to drink.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Neddy
Sub Adult

We went 5 days giving our Ralph grass or hay wouldnt touch it and after that I felt like I was being cruel so I feel your pain here.

Although frowned upon by many we feed whatever weeds we can find (TTT approved) and mix of stuff from the shops + pellets. I appreciate this isnt the 'best' diet but at least we know he is getting what he needs. He's been checked by the vets on numerous occasions and has a clean bill of health.

He has always had a slightly running nose and sneezes (hence the trips to the vet) but its never got worse or better so they feel its just how he is, so no top soil etc and definitely not out in the cold.

He is in throughout the winter, he is extremely sensitive to the cold so we just can't risk it.

Its a real pain to have him in the kitchen crapping where ever he wants but needs must he's just too big to lock in a table these days.

I hope this helped.

Sara
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote