Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 25-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
GemmaD
Egg

Thanks again for all your replies, I did take her to the vet who said she had RNS and prescribed some antibiotics. So very obviously quarrentined her and have started bathing her with vetark critical care because she's gone off her food. Since that though one of my other tortoises has just got a very slightly runny nose (today). The vet gave me some extra antibiotics incase another one caught it so that side of things is OK. I need to quarantine the second tortoise (I already have crudely) do you think I can quarrentine the two ill ones together or should they be separate from each other too? Thanks for your help, I'm getting g quite stressed about them all!
GemmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #12
CherryBrandy
Adult

don't get stressed Gemma, it can all be because of spring time allergies also not necessarily RNS as we know it - weather stress can cause RNS. Personally , this will (may ?) go against the grain with a lot of keepers but I would keep together if been together. One of my Horsfields gets RNS every year and I have hibernated her every year for over 20 years and she has been in with the others and none have ever caught it so it would be sad if I had to separate her for 20 years as think it would have caused her more stress. I know its never ideal as they can pick up things from others but balance is needed in all things health related and sometimes you are damned if do and damned if don't. The other day I put Woodward out and he seems to have everything and over night I hardly heard a murmur where as sometimes I can hear him wheezing during the night (horrid), nothing has cleared it but appetite and weight gain all ok so don't be too disheartened, CB
Old 25-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #13
GemmaD
Egg

Thank you for your advice, it is reassuring! They have both recently been microchipped so I did wonder if it was from the stress of that! Hopefully with some antibiotics and tlc they'll get better soon.
Old 25-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #14
Gordon
Adult

Most of the time it's temps being to low that causes rns.
Make sure while your tort is on antibiotics you up the night time temps it will help them to work properly.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 11:40 PM   #15
GemmaD
Egg

We've got them inside on a tortoise table. I squirt the table with water daily so it doesn't get too dry and they have a UV light during the day but no extra heat at night. What sort of temperature would you recommend?
Old 26-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #16
sandy
Adult

Make sure while your tortoise is on abs, you keep high temps at night,otherwise the abs won't work properly:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #17
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaD View Post
We've got them inside on a tortoise table. I squirt the table with water daily so it doesn't get too dry and they have a UV light during the day but no extra heat at night. What sort of temperature would you recommend?
You need your night temps the same as the day temps over night.
I would check your night time temps and make sure your not over spraying if the substrate is to damp and the temps to low that could be the cause of the RNS.
I only damp my babies two or three times a week the main thing is bathing them regularly when they are small.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote