Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 29-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Julia
Egg

Question 2 fathers?

Hi there,

I've been lucky enough to successfully incubate 3 eggs of my 12 year old Herman's girl.
The little babies are gorgeous, but I wondered if they all have the same father. My girl has been with 3 boys and I wondered if the eggs she laid could have different fathers?
Is this possible?
2 babies look like one of the male, and the third has the markings of another.
I need to know really so that I can get the paperwork right.

Thanks
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Hi Julia

I would say if she has been with three males there is a good chance they could all be fathers as tortoises hold on to sperm for two years plus. so if the males were all fertile its I'm sure possible.
As for the paperwork if the males are all chipped I would just use one of them as it will just confuse them at defra which doesn't take a lot.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

I remember reading something about mixed paternal clutches, so yes it is possible.

You will have to pay a lot more for your certificates if you say more than one Dad & you can't be absolutely certain so I'd just put one father & pay one fee for the certificates.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
I remember reading something about mixed paternal clutches, so yes it is possible.

You will have to pay a lot more for your certificates if you say more than one Dad & you can't be absolutely certain so I'd just put one father & pay one fee for the certificates.
I'm sure I have seen an article on it somewhere Lynn.
Nothing would surprise me with tortoises they are such a complex reptile and I think there is still so much to learn about them.
Old 31-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
Julia
Egg

Thanks for your advice on this. I appreciate it.
Will just get one registered as the father then. Do I have to microchip both parents then, in order to get the certificates? None of them currently is.

I had a look at the DEFRA website and ended up totally confused over what I need to do.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia View Post
Thanks for your advice on this. I appreciate it.
Will just get one registered as the father then. Do I have to microchip both parents then, in order to get the certificates? None of them currently is.

I had a look at the DEFRA website and ended up totally confused over what I need to do.

Yes you will need them both chipped but just do one of the males and yes defra sight can be a bit confusing but then even if you call them they dont have a clue most of the time.