Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Feedback/Suggestions/Problems

Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
John
Incubating

Well it would appear that this forum like many others has become an ego forum not a tortoise forum.....damn shame. Kelly leaving, in my eyes is a great loss, she has helped me many times, and I do hope she will reconsider. I don't quite understand why people have evolved from trying to help and give advice to forcing thier methods on other people why do people feel they have to prove themselves? here are thier lives that empty?.......Read the posts if ya find something useful take it....if ya can add something helpful do so....if not just move along. KELLY COME ON BACK!
Old 19-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
Doodle-Bug
Hatched

All I will say is that my boss was involved in a heated debate on a forum, he was piggy in the middle, the whole thing ended in the court room !!!!!!
Old 19-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #13
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I had a forum that I had to close because people were telling me to check under my car and "we know where you stay", my name and address was posted on FF. Those kind of people not only make threats, they carry them out as was seen a couple of months ago with the letter bombs. On here, a tortoise forum I check my emails and people are reporting posts because they don't like the title of the thread or the tone of someone's voice! If people are "frightened" to post because they are not going to like the reply then I'm afraid if they are like that on a forum then they will be like that away from the forum too but that's life, some people will stand up for themselves and some people will give up and quit.
I think the best thing to do is probably just have no moderators and let everyone just do what they do and everyone will have to get on with it, a bit like the real world. Anything over the top then phone the police
Old 19-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
this place has lost that special something it had once , no one seems to care now when people are attacked and attacked till they leave , newbies leaving one after another .
I guess it dont matter someone else will join tomorrow !.
Newbies have left ever since I have come on here, they do that on any forum. At they same time there are plenty people still on here from before I was so how does that work?

There's more than one way of "attacking" someone as you know, one person comes right out and says whey they think while the other does it differently, choosing their words carefully.. designed to irritate and annoy and get a reaction, hell, you did it yourself with Petrus when you were having digs at him for giving advice to others. Strange that no one has ever reported that as trolling though, only the 'saying it as it is' posts get reported and surprisingly never by the person that is supposedly offended
Old 19-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

I think anyone doing anything malicious is completely out of order and that person should be ashamed of themselves.

As I said earlier, there are ALWAYS faults on both sides. My view is that everyone has to calm down and take stock, perhaps examining their conscience and asking what part have they played in this.

It shouldn't be about promoting only one way, or stifling differing opinions. Part of what makes this forum so interesting is the differing opinions. There should always be room for robust debate. I think if everyone agrees to think a bit more before posting and using inflammatory language, then thaat will suffice. Of course, I include myself in this because my record is not squeaky clean.
Old 19-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #16
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

Great stuff

As a newbie to this forum, this is absolutely nothing new - nothing unique, nothing different from any other forum.

There are 2 sides of the coin here, and I think I saw it posted by someone on another thread on here:
  1. Over moderation
  2. Under moderation
Admins or Mods quite simply are never going to win, and to be frank, that (IMO) is not the issue here.
Running my own forum with many thousands of members I get this on a daily basis - have had legal threats, personal threats, personal attacks the lot.
Do I care? no, not really because I know personally the people that do care and do matter.

The under moderation is sensitive because if everything was watched like a hawk, the forum would be branded a nanny state, and no freedom of speech yadda yadda yadda.

I have employed 3 (successful) methods:
  • Infraction system - a VB plugin whereby infractions are assigned based on predetermined rules at the discretion of the moderators/Admin. These are totted up to ultimately form a ban, or for serious offences an instant ban for 1/3/7 days - it's rare I have employed permanent bans (including ip banning) but I have.
  • Coventry - This is a cool feature - we have dubbed it coventry because "no-one wants to go there, and no one talks to you" - it's actually called the MUG - pm me if you want more details
  • Inconvenience - another one for pm.

You would and could question whether this is predominantly an adults forum here, or whether we're actually back at school again.
Seriously guys, remember one fact here - opinions are like arse-holes.... everyone has one.
Old 19-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #17
Pussygalore
Adult

I suggested that as chat seems to be the place where most harm is done and is in full veiw of everyone that chat should go back to how it used to be, having to sign in to be a part. Maybe without the 'audience' those who choose to 'gossip' shall we say at least won't be in full veiw of those who are 'gossiped' about and may not even bother to join in. I personally feel the threads themselves are no worse or better than they have always been, you'll never get a forum where everyone agrees and if you did it wouldn't be a very good place, without naming it I can think of at least one where that takes place so there is another forum where those who like that sameness can go if they don't like it here. Or there always the option of starting your own, most who leave here usually come back after a few weeks/months when they find that despite looking there's still not other forum as good as this one.!
Old 19-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Indeed, if new members are sending private messages to one particular member, rather than posting on the forum, because they are frightened then something needs to be done.
I think the one particular member is asking to be PM'd and emailed though. If someone is frightened to post then they really need to get a grip or take up a less scary hobby
Old 19-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #19
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I suggested that as chat seems to be the place where most harm is done and is in full veiw of everyone
It seems so. I am never on it since I can't type fast enough but apparently I was also getting b!tched about last night
Old 19-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #20
Pussygalore
Adult

I also think that if a particular member is getting pm's asking for advice then maybe, as a good forum member they should tell the senders to ask the advice on the forum rather than keep 'encouraging' or else start their own. When members start seeing themselves as 'above' the rest then perhaps its time they did a little 'rethinking'.
Closed Thread