Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Feedback/Suggestions/Problems

Old 29-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
Steph37
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibizathetort View Post
I think we all agree that we respect each others views, I think it just becomes unacceptable when it becomes a bit personal.

Personally I think the best way forward would be to continue to offer our support and experiences and to just ignore any incendary comments, making a real effort to keep the thread clean and on track for the op (usually a valued newbie!)

Thats my 2 pence worth anyhoo gang
I agree-you are so right about not being drawn in-its more likely to go away if ignored and that's where I've gone wrong. BTW what is the OP? (other person?) I assumed, maybe wrongly, because of where it came from it stood for something very rude, but as you are saying it, I have just thought maybe thats all it means-I thought it meant 'oppostion' or 'Odd people' or something worse!!!
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
swad1000
Adult

Original poster, or thread starter if you like.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
dolittle
Hatched

I actually enjoy reading heated debates(not the rude comments) as they have helped me in the way I do things. If I think something should be done a certain way but then read that someone does it different and theirs and other reasons why, it has changed my mind in the past. I think it would be boring if we all said the same things. Years and years ago the experts thought they were doing things right and what's to say in years to come we will find out what we are doing now is wrong, at least we have had the options to choose different ways that suit us through peoples opinions and experience. Sometimes I think people forget they are talking through a computer and take things to heart to much. And i actually enjoy posts by 'fruitcake' lol even if I might not agree as they are honest and he does not conform to the crowd. Too often I read people advising others to do something but not knowing the reasons why its best, when they are asked they say it's what they've been told or read. Gosh long post for me but it's just my opinion
fish
2 male leopard geckos
1 panther chameleon
ca painted wood turtle

nicola osborne on facebook

RIP my wonderful boxer sasha, will miss you lotsxxxxxxxx 13 04 10
dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
Marly
Sub Adult

"In my opinion" Kelly (Stells) has some very valid points in her last post. As do most of the posters on this thread.
On the whole I think OP's, be they new or old Shelled Warriors's, get very good and varied advice. They are offered tips and suggestions which they can try, usually comeing back with more questions or updates on improvements. Which I think we all learn from.
Every so often though, comes along a thread which does get feelings running high, for what ever reason. We are all passionate about torts and sometimes this passion shows.
I posted on what is now becoming "the fruitcake and trolls" post because I felt important information has been forgotten, missed or just lost in the thread. I passionately felt it should be re-stated, which I did, as cooly as I was able. I also said I was happy to be called a fruitcake, which I still am, happy I mean, not a fruitcake. I didn't feel insulted or upset by that, although quite frankly I did not see a need for it, but have realised that other posters are as passionate as me.
Some topics will always arouse passion and disagreement, which in my opinion is a good thing. There are no RIGHT or WRONG ways, just DIFFERENT ways of doing things, which should be discussed.
I have learnt lessons on here, the main one being respect. Now, if I have nothing good or helpfull to post, as Sarah too has mentioned in this thread, I ignore. It was a hard but good lesson. I do post when I feel passionate about something, but now I do try very,very hard to remember that little word, respect.
Old 29-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
"In my opinion" Kelly (Stells) has some very valid points in her last post. As do most of the posters on this thread.
On the whole I think OP's, be they new or old Shelled Warriors's, get very good and varied advice. They are offered tips and suggestions which they can try, usually comeing back with more questions or updates on improvements. Which I think we all learn from.
Every so often though, comes along a thread which does get feelings running high, for what ever reason. We are all passionate about torts and sometimes this passion shows.
I posted on what is now becoming "the fruitcake and trolls" post because I felt important information has been forgotten, missed or just lost in the thread. I passionately felt it should be re-stated, which I did, as cooly as I was able. I also said I was happy to be called a fruitcake, which I still am, happy I mean, not a fruitcake. I didn't feel insulted or upset by that, although quite frankly I did not see a need for it, but have realised that other posters are as passionate as me.
Some topics will always arouse passion and disagreement, which in my opinion is a good thing. There are no RIGHT or WRONG ways, just DIFFERENT ways of doing things, which should be discussed.
I have learnt lessons on here, the main one being respect. Now, if I have nothing good or helpfull to post, as Sarah too has mentioned in this thread, I ignore. It was a hard but good lesson. I do post when I feel passionate about something, but now I do try very,very hard to remember that little word, respect.

Very well put

Simple if you dont like someones comment ignore it.

Shelled Warriors is not free to host its quite expensive. But we keep paying for it so we can help tortoises and spread new ideas.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
TortBabe
Adult

I am so grateful to have found this site, it has helped me and my torts no end, increased my confidence as a keeper, made me a better keeper. I read everyones advice, try this, try that and come to my own conclusion which will work best for my torts. I also have made lots of great friends, quite often almost peed myself laughing (Thanks Alan ) and enjoy conversing with other people who love torts. So I will say Thank you to Sarah and Andrew, this place has certainly been to me exactly what it was intended for...tortoise knowledge. The laugh on here is an enjoyable bonus, and if anyone wants to be rude or ignorant, I just ignore it
Old 29-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
Steph37
Hatched

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
Without the more experienced members giving out advice... how are we meant to help newbies... if we lose the more experienced the whole forum will be full of newbies (no offence intended) without anyone to guide them... what use would that be... nobody on this forum is put before anyone else... the new generation of tortoise keepers are respected as well as the older generation... but that doesn't mean we always have to agree...

Has nobody thought that the reason they get so het up about the differing opinion is because they think there opinion is right... so really nobody is different to anyone else...
Nothing to do with opinions Kelly, as far as I know from all the people within pm, its tone and argumentative style aimed at insulting and humiliating. There are plenty of people on here who's advice I would (hopefully correctly) take as gospel but that's because their tone and demeanour commands respect, not just their age or standing! Anyway, enough of me, but obviously there's a lot of people who feel similarly. A lot of the people I have felt bad for are those I've nevee responded to, let alone pm'ed. Just felt so awful for the two ladies who have posted this week-never to return-surely that's not what SW stands for. Anyway, sorry its old ground now! Steph
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #18
ziggy's owner
Adult

We all have our ups and downs, and yeah some people make out they know it all, my words is try if it don't work try something else, I know I for one have had fall outs with people for saying something but as Sarah and Kelly say ignore it

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs
1.2.0 Springers
1.0.0 hamster
0.0.1 Blue Tongue skink
2.2.0 Beardies
And tropical fish
Also have baby marginated tortoises for sale
ziggy's owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #19
ibizathetort
Adult

I don't think anyone is looking for a member or members to be shown the door. I think sometimes order is needed when a thread gets personal. I admit to being in a right tiz last night on that thread until Bindi pulled it up for being personal. Sometimes that's what the forum is crying out for. Nobody is asking for a draconian policing of peoples views just a warning when posters get out of hand
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #20
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
Without the more experienced members giving out advice... how are we meant to help newbies... if we lose the more experienced the whole forum will be full of newbies (no offence intended) without anyone to guide them... what use would that be... nobody on this forum is put before anyone else... the new generation of tortoise keepers are respected as well as the older generation... but that doesn't mean we always have to agree...

Has nobody thought that the reason they get so het up about the differing opinion is because they think there opinion is right... so really nobody is different to anyone else...
I agree, and you make some very good points Kelly. I do miss the input, knowledge and discussions from the more experienced keepers who have sadly left as I learnt so much from them. However, everyone has a voice and valued input and I enjoy the diversity of the posts. I admit I missed the 'trolls' thread ... It must be very hard running and directing a Forum ...

Sarah ... I had no idea it was expensive to run. Thank you