Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 26-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
twiglet1003
Egg

Unhappy Help - Chalky White Clump

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site - and to posting on forums in general although I have had my Hermann Tortoise, Raf, for nearly 6 years.
I'm just looking for some advice - Tonight when getting home from work I went to check on my boy, who seemed absolutely fine in himself. Charging around, rapaidly munching on the weeds that I had brought him and just generally looking for attention.
However when reaching in to his table to change his water I noticed that there was a hard (chalky) white lump about the size of the end of my thumb laying next to his water bowl.
I picked it out and it was crumbly, but nothing like I have ever seen come from him before and tbh it looks like it would have been extremely uncomfortable for him to pass. Normally the white stuff comes out with his pee and is watery.
We pulled him straight out and got him in the bath (he has on average 3-4 baths a week in lukewarm water for around 15 mins but he absolutely hates being in there, even to the point of flipping himself over trying so hard to get out which is scary - I watch him like a hawk) as I was concerned its dehydration!

Could any of you please offer me some advice? Im really worried and feeling like an awful mum, with an instant feeling of I dont know what Im doing! I dont want him to be suffering in anyway!!

Thanks in advance

Laura

Ps. I took some photos of it but I don't know how to attach them. It was about the size of the end of my thumb and round.
twiglet1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Hello your not a bad mom!
Sounds as if it could have been solid grates or a stone.
Dehydration can be a big factor. You say his bath is Luke warm? Have you tried bathing him in warmer water? Mine like 30/35 degrees! (Some one asked me!) I aim for 20/30 mins.
Also if the warmer water doesn't help, try experimenting with different containers.
Diet can also be a contributing factor, things high in oxylactic acid are not good (in excess)
Eg: peppers, spinach, rocket, dandelions in excess..
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Dehydration is the problem, when we use temps the same all day long, its not natural. If you think in the wild temperatures vary throughout the day.
I would suggest feeding wet food during the Winter, or even hibernate your tortoise if you dont do so now. As this helps too:0)
Also you might be able to put your heat and light on a timer during the day to vary temps.
Tortoises also dont need any extra heat at nightime, the heat of the house is enough.
And soaking in a solid container, not one they can see through, as if they can they want to be out:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Hello laura , hello Raf, all good advice on here and also maybe try fine mist spray daily as this can higher the humidity. A good rule of thumb is remember central heating dries plants out quicker than normal so on this you can think like its cold outside (not hard if you are in UK at the moment) and you sat in front of the radiator to warm up. Lovely and warm but if you wear contact lenses they would be dried out in less than 5 minutes because you can not sustain the moisture. I find it incredible that old (not any one on here !) people turn their heating up to max and sit all day in a rug and then wonder why they can not function and often its because they are dehydrated or get an infection because dried out...I digress but its fun to do so. Sure itll be ok and to be honest if you bathe like that then its probably just a one off and possibly food tannins etc not dehydration, CB

Tags
health