Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 15-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Patrick123
Egg

Default Hermanns Tortoise Underweight?

Hi there, I have a Hermmans tortoise about 9 years old, he is 16cm long and weighs 582 grams, according to the jacksons graph he is underweight, but I have read other forums and people say that seems about right.
I starved him for 4 weeks as advised and now he really wants to hibernate but I'm not sure if I should let him due to possibly being underweight, any advice?

Thanks
Patrick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick123 View Post
Hi there, I have a Hermmans tortoise about 9 years old, he is 16cm long and weighs 582 grams, according to the jacksons graph he is underweight, but I have read other forums and people say that seems about right.
I starved him for 4 weeks as advised and now he really wants to hibernate but I'm not sure if I should let him due to possibly being underweight, any advice?

Thanks
Your tortoise is a Horsfield, as you posted pictures on another site for IDing:0)
And if he/she has been eating fine during the year, has clear bright eyes, a dry nose and no gaping. Then should be fine for hibernating. Horsfields have the strongest wills to hibernate, and could be really hard to keep them up.
The JR does not at all apply to horsfields.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

that's a good sturdy weight for a Horsfield, probably a boy as the girlies can be heavier ... one of mine was 300 grammes and hibernated naturally for 5 months so shouldn't be a problem and as Sandy says if all clear on the health front there is no reason why not.
keep us posted Patrick 123. !
CB