Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 25-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
aljeff1981
Egg

Default 6 month old Bells Hinge back.

Hello everyone sorry if this question was asked many moons ago but i am the proud owner f a captive bred Bells HB.
I keep him in a viv and he is eating well with a varied diet of varied greens and fruit with mushrooms, beansprouts, tomato on top.
I also have two water bowls one large and one smaller the larger one for him to bathe in when he likes.

my issues come with the substrate i have the tort flooring ( pellet type ) but its about as natural has the eiffel tower and i have a sleeping area ( a hamster style wood hut ) with hay in which he loves.
I know he likes digging which i have watched but i need to know the best to use i am considering top soil base with bark topping would this be ok? if so could i use the bark you would use in the garden?

Finally boredom how to stop it what can i put in the viv etc to encourage him too play.

And finally any other tips you can pass on i brought this tort after a life long passion for them and this is my first
aljeff1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
nooddle
Juvenile

Hey.
I have no experience at all with Bells HB but if you look at the indoor enclosures thread there are lots of pictures and you will get some great ideas for making your torts viv more exciting!

Tiny A'Tuin by nnaaddiinnee89, on Flickr
nooddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljeff1981 View Post
Hello everyone sorry if this question was asked many moons ago but i am the proud owner f a captive bred Bells HB.
I keep him in a viv and he is eating well with a varied diet of varied greens and fruit with mushrooms, beansprouts, tomato on top.
I also have two water bowls one large and one smaller the larger one for him to bathe in when he likes.

my issues come with the substrate i have the tort flooring ( pellet type ) but its about as natural has the eiffel tower and i have a sleeping area ( a hamster style wood hut ) with hay in which he loves.
I know he likes digging which i have watched but i need to know the best to use i am considering top soil base with bark topping would this be ok? if so could i use the bark you would use in the garden?

Finally boredom how to stop it what can i put in the viv etc to encourage him too play.

And finally any other tips you can pass on i brought this tort after a life long passion for them and this is my first
topsoil would be ideal with orcid bark on the top
Old 26-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Hi and welcome somebody else who uses a viv
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
EJ
Adult

A pelleted diet is especially useful with hingebacks in general. I'd recommend going easy on the fruit and tomatos.

I would think Aspen bedding with a box of humid material such as ground coconut hull would be beneficial to the tortoise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljeff1981 View Post

and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Fred123
Hatched

Hi, we also keep bells. They are a fascinating species. Top soil with Orchid bark on top is ideal as it gives them something to dig in, should they wish, and also retains a little moisture. Plenty of hides and rocks to climb on and a nice size water tray, as they love a good soak, will be an ideal environment.

I wouldnt expect him to play, they can be shy. As long as he is healthy and happy and you have given him a perfect enclosure with opportunities to explore I wouldnt worry.
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote