Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 29-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
Watermelon
Adult

Congrats, yes they are very addictive I am wanting a third one this next year sometime!!

Just key advice vary their diet, dont give them the same food everyday and try aim for 5 different plants every day. Try not to hand feed them much either as this could encourage biting.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
kaychapman7
Incubating

This is a picture of my new Hermanns Tortoise, Genevieve. Hope this works as it is my first time posting pictures

kaychapman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
shellonia
Sub Adult

Horsefields and hermans both easy to keep but horsefields tend to dig in and disappear for weeks on end once they go outside! Also they are more aggressive if you end up with 2 males or male/1 female.Hermans are hardy, have bags of personality, are good eaters and adaptable to change. I am biassed but have kept or know of keepers of all 3, including ibera. Iberas are lovely little tortoises but a bit more prone to runny nose and I've not found them quite as interesting or active. At the end of the day you will probably fall in love with certain ones and as has been said- it's addictive!
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
joannefnm
Egg

Wow thanks for all the great advice!
Would you recommend the heat lamp and UV light combined or seperate?
My dad's really into gardening so he's planning on growing food on the windowsills already!
I'm torn between the Hermann and Horsfield now! Which is the smallest at an adult age?
I'm SO excited guys! Any name suggestions?!
joannefnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
joannefnm
Egg

Also I want to get a combined bulb, i was looking on amazon, this seems a good option http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terra-Solar-...5172090&sr=8-1
does anybody have experience with this bulb or could recommend a different one?
joannefnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Tenth Legion
Egg

Hi joanne, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm getting everything ready atm and doing my homework to be prepared for when I get my tort. I'm looking at a Hermann rather than a Horsefield as they are also easier for a beginner and more adaptable/hardy as has been said already.
Tenth Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
suttysue
Sub Adult

I have both Horsefields & a Herman they both have different qualities but I do find my likkle Hfields are full of fun borbering on impishness.
Whatever you choose I'm sure your'll enjoy your tort and I bet you end up with more than 1
sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
burnt toast
Adult

I will add my twopenneth, Joanne... why not consider a Marginated? They are very hardy, look great, eat same diet, same environmental conditions as the others, but arent prone to rns & dont try to constantly escape indoors or out, rarely dig & cost the same money for a hatchling. Can you tell im biased?!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
Easter Bunny
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannefnm View Post
Also I want to get a combined bulb, i was looking on amazon, this seems a good option http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terra-Solar-...5172090&sr=8-1
does anybody have experience with this bulb or could recommend a different one?
IMO I wouldn't go for the solar glow bulb. I used to use them and they always blew after 4/6 weeks of use. I wasted so much money with them. Others on here also say the uv output isn't that great either.
I use the Arcadia D3 combined bulb and I wouldn't change now. They are a bit more expensive but really worth it.
Old 29-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #20
mrscross78
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNNEEASTER View Post
IMO I wouldn't go for the solar glow bulb. I used to use them and they always blew after 4/6 weeks of use. I wasted so much money with them. Others on here also say the uv output isn't that great either.
I use the Arcadia D3 combined bulb and I wouldn't change now. They are a bit more expensive but really worth it.
I second that... I had 2 solar glo bulbs and both blew with in 2 months.. I also now use an Arcadia D3 bulb.

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni Victor & George
Amelia
mrscross78 is offline   Reply With Quote