Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 06-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
dawny690
Egg

Send a message via MSN to dawny690
Default Spring Onion

Hi I have recently got a horsefield tortoise and reading up on what food they can eat and everything and I was wondering weather they can eat the tops off spring onions at all? A lady in a fruit and veg shop told me about this site who also lives in leicester so if she is reading this post thanks for the site. Also the woman I got my tort off was feeding her on the T-REX tortoise pellets, which at the time I didnt know where dangerous so I went out and got some but since talking to the lady today she told me about the pellets beening dangerous and have read on this site that they are as well so havent feed her any more of them and wont be feeding her them anymore. Also does anyone know of a really good care sheet for the horsefields torts? Sorry to ask so many questions but beening a newbie on here want to get all the info I can on my tort. Also how often do you have to bath torts and how and what water do you use? That is going to sound daft but heard you have to bath them and wondered how you bathed them. Thanks Dawn
Old 06-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash
Default Re: Spring Onion

Hi Dawn
May I first welcome you to the forum and say its great to find someone arrive by word of mouth
Well spring onion tops are a no. Trex pellets again a no. I would love to know who that lady was as she sounds like she knows her stuff Weeds are the way to go with torts.
There is some great information on horsfields at www.thetortoisehosue.com (click russians at the side)
As for bathing 20mins about 3 times a weeks in warm water will do. I bath my torts in washing up bowls.
Hope I haven't missed anything. If I have jsut shout

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hello and welcome Dawn,

I have never heard of the tops of spring onions being fed to tortoises. I am not sure if onions are classed as a bulb type plant in which case may be poisonous as dafodils, snow drops, crocus and tulips are poisonous to tortoises.

I would also imagine they wouldnt be nice to them as they are still oniony, the best food you can give is good old fashioned weeds which are free too. You can aslo give flowers like pansys, petunias, laveteria, rose petals and many more.

I am very pleased you are not using the pellets now you know they are full of protein and cause rapid growth and deformation of the tortoises shell.

As for baths I bath mine in a washing up bowl, with luke warm water in it, you only put enough water in it to immerse the plastron (underside) of your tortoise.

This is done as frequently as you like for about 10 to 20 minutes, but a minimum of every other day is best, as it keeps the tortoiose hydrated as water is drunk, and absorbed up the back passage whilst bathing, and more often than not they toilet in the bath too.

Some people use a lamp over the bath to keep the water warmer longer, but you can tip some out and top up again with more warm water if desired.

As for care sheets for horsefields have a look at www.thetortoisehouse.com this is a great site for horsefields, Lisa is also a member here too.

Feel free to ask away, no question is a silly question. You can also use the search function to find answers to questions which may already have been asked here.

Hope this helps.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:47 AM   #4
dawny690
Egg

Default Bath

Right I did bath my tort today as an experiment but she didnt like it one little bit how do you clean her legs and cracks etc, as its a bit hard to do on your own, also how can i keep her nails down as they are quite sharp? Also she seems to hide in her shell lots when i try to clean her will she get used to this, she did wee and poo lots i have a cat litter tray which i used is that ok? Also which lady are you talking about the one from the veg shop? As if so I dont know her name but know she works in Birstall, Leicester and has not long registered on this site herself, she seems a very nice lady and does seem to know alot about torts she rescued her spur thigh tort. I am a bit worried about my horsefield as somebody told me I need some sort of licence of something with her and when I was sold her I wasnt given one, is this true? Again sorry for all the questions, thanks for welcoming me and the advice, my tort does love dandelion the leaves, these are ok? Thanks Dawn[/b]
Old 07-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
Henry-flash
Adult

At the moment Horsfields don't require any form of licensing, so theres no need to worry there
The little thing will get used to you and baths in tiem and will eventually become less timid and develop a personality. The cat litter tray is great I know a lot of people use them. It is also normal for them to poo and wee in the bath. Horsfields do have quite sharp nails anyway, but by feeding them on a piece of slate it stops them geting to long and also wears the beak down, again so it doesn't get too long.
Dandelions are a good start. Other weeds such as bitter cress, plantain, sow thistle, clover are just some weeds which can be included in a good varied diet

Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
dawny690
Egg

How do you find out what the ladies name is and everything who recommended me to this lovely helpful site? Dawn
Old 07-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
Henry-flash
Adult

Sorry I don't know, but maybe if she works at the shop you could go back and ask her what her username is here Unless she comes on and lets us know.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
yam yam
Sub Adult

hello dawn and a big welcome you will gets lots of helpfull advice here
would love to see some photos of your baby
yam yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
dawny690
Egg

Thanks will sort some pics out of her, are they easy to sex torts? Also can I ask why some places say torts can eat lettuce and some say you cant? As its very confussing?? Thanks Dawn
Old 08-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #10
nina
Adult

Hi Dawn and welcome to the forum,

Lettuce isn't bad for tortoises (it's not toxic or anything), but most lettuce - and especially iceburg lettuce - has no nourishment at all in it. Romaine lettuce is OK, and some of the red leafed ones aren't bad, but most lettuce is a waste of time and you are much better off feeding weeds and other nourishing foods. There are some good food lists on here:
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/
and here
http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/index.htm