Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 13-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
leanneb85
Egg

Default coco coir

I've decided to use coco coir for my russian tortoise as im fed up of top soil as the last 3 batches have been riddled with fly eggs. i've bought the canna coco coir in a bag does this need soaking or is it already damp enough?
leanneb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanneb85 View Post
I've decided to use coco coir for my russian tortoise as im fed up of top soil as the last 3 batches have been riddled with fly eggs. i've bought the canna coco coir in a bag does this need soaking or is it already damp enough?
I've never tried that type nor heard of it but I used to get the blocks from IKEA that were about £2 or something and called Kokosnot and when you soaked them they expanded massively. I would say if it's damp it will be ok, you can always spray it with water afterwards anyway. I don't know if IKEA still sells it
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

welcome Leanne, and rusky tort,

yes canna is good make - no additives. Some coco can come in bricks and you soak them to rehydrate and disperse it - canna doesn't usually , its loose soil. the soaking you may be thinking of is the misting each day to gain the humidity - you would have to do this regardless if top soil or coco coir as the humidity needs maintaining daily. Hope that helps. apologies if it is a brick constituted product ! you would see the difference definitely. your first 5 posts are sanitised / filtered so delays will occur after that you are live time posting, CB
Old 16-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there

The flies might not be specific to topsoil as I've had some nuisance with tiny flies that were living in coir. I use the blocks that expand on soaking and have not tried canna. When the tiny flies problem started I thought I might be plagued with them permanently but this didn't happen and most of time they are not there.

I really like the coir for a load of reasons including it is not full of bits of plastic and glass. Bagged topsoil, even from a good source, can contain all kinds of junk. The garden centres etc. expect us not to notice which we wouldn't if we were putting the topsoil in the garden.
Old 24-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
sky
Adult

I use amix of top soil ( I prefer wilkinson but) and coir find it mixes well and nice texture for torts.
1 grumpy husband
sky is offline   Reply With Quote