Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Talking what's in your garden to feed today?

Post photos and name plants of whatever you have in your garden to feed today!

I'll start....Blue Sow Thistle leaves in abundance (featuring 3 amigos)

add your pics!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Three amigos looking great Jonathan & blue sow thistle wow. It grows at our caravan, I have tried here but no luck from seed.

& I can't post photos sorry ( I might be able eventually but would probably take me hours!)

But wanted to share what mine are eating! Cut grass! A throw away comment some time ago saying they had to pull it themselves meant in never tried it cut! Then one of my Margie males stood watching me a few weeks ago with a blade poking out of his mouth! Having scissors to hand I cut a bunch & passed it to one of my girls! Voila she ate the lot & the others came haring out & there was a scuffle to eat it!

Last edited by burnt toast; 11-04-2017 at 12:00 AM.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

Thought I better post sorry as in going on( as usual! )
So I have fed hardy Geraniums, lavateria leaves even hebe cuttings, (as well as dandies, sow thistle etc) & I'm really surprised & pleased they have eaten all.

1/3 roughly chopped leaves, 2 thirds chopped lawn grass .... Gone
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Today's breakfast contained Bittercress, Vetch, Smooth and Prickly Sowthistle, Pansies, Dandelion, Cat's Ear, Hardy Geranium and Clover.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Jan W
Sub Adult

No time for pictures after my dog/Bertie saga - see separate thread.

Dandelion flowers and leaves, rocket flowers and leaves, bittercress. Watercress, Plantain, pansies, cats ear., cuckoo flower

Last edited by Jan W; 11-04-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Cor you three are on a recipe roll ! I will try and post. thinking dandelions as im a bit boring !

And Lynne my margies scoff grass all the time> I can hear Beau ripping it off the lawn from a way away ! bonus ! CB
Old 12-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Suze65
Adult

the three Amigos do look lovely. Emma that looks impressive. not much in my garden at the moment, but hopefully I will have hardy geraniums soon, and mallow flowers, and I'm going to be planting a whole lot of edible garden plants and flowers as soon as my wall is built. so for now I will have to go weed walking, oh I have got some pansies.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
the three Amigos do look lovely. Emma that looks impressive. not much in my garden at the moment, but hopefully I will have hardy geraniums soon, and mallow flowers, and I'm going to be planting a whole lot of edible garden plants and flowers as soon as my wall is built. so for now I will have to go weed walking, oh I have got some pansies.
The new weed patch was sorted out early autumn last year and it's really done well with the seeds sown so we have a good variety in there. Every time a weed popped up somewhere I just pulled it up, roots and all, and transplanted it into the weed patch too. I'm getting my head around all the other plants in the garden now that everything is coming to life again and we have some that are edible, which is a bonus.
I'm growing mallow, nasturtium, hollyhock, teasel, evening primrose, lavatera, petunia and nemesia too, which are all for the torts really, but make the garden look pretty as a bonus.
The seeds sown in their enclosures have all done well and as ever it's the sowthistle that does amazingly well, so they have large sowthistle plants to enjoy and I won't let anyone remove the prickly sowthistle as it soon rejuvenates once I've taken some leaves from it.
It's so nice to be able to give them more of a variety again and I'm looking forward to more flowers too, to give them a change from pansies.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 12-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
The new weed patch was sorted out early autumn last year and it's really done well with the seeds sown so we have a good variety in there. Every time a weed popped up somewhere I just pulled it up, roots and all, and transplanted it into the weed patch too. I'm getting my head around all the other plants in the garden now that everything is coming to life again and we have some that are edible, which is a bonus.
I'm growing mallow, nasturtium, hollyhock, teasel, evening primrose, lavatera, petunia and nemesia too, which are all for the torts really, but make the garden look pretty as a bonus.
The seeds sown in their enclosures have all done well and as ever it's the sowthistle that does amazingly well, so they have large sowthistle plants to enjoy and I won't let anyone remove the prickly sowthistle as it soon rejuvenates once I've taken some leaves from it.
It's so nice to be able to give them more of a variety again and I'm looking forward to more flowers too, to give them a change from pansies.
I've got lavatera on my shopping list and evening primrose, also globe thistle, eringium ( sea holly) and echinacea , they are all safe to eat and look really pretty. Oh I nearly forgot, holly hock too, I don't know if I will fit all of that in !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

Sounds very nice though Suze. I like the process of growing them. I forgot I've also got Forget me not - first time I've grown it so fingers crossed!!
The sunflowers my youngest is growing are doing well so I'm intending to grow the hollyhocks in a row in front of them.
I'll be interested to see how you get on with the sea holly. I'd never have thought of that.
Great time of year to plan our torts' diets throughout the summer. I love giving them a variety.