Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 24-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
Stacey_Jo
Incubating

Ok so after the vets I let her be for a day or so, I know they can get quite stressed so gave her a bit of time. Today though I gave her a nice long soak and prepared an area on your advice burnt toast, put her back in her table and she started wandering around. She's been loading up on calcium, she's had some food and now shes marching round the table sniffing soil , wagging her tail around and digging at bits. I can only hope these are good signs! They seem to be. I'm hoping she'll lay soon...being on tortoise watch means nothing else gets done! Lol.

Last edited by Stacey_Jo; 24-03-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Stacey_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
tortydat
Sub Adult

Certainly very promising signs so lets hope she manages to lay her eggs soon so that you can all get back to normal.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #13
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey_Jo View Post
Ok so after the vets I let her be for a day or so, I know they can get quite stressed so gave her a bit of time. Today though I gave her a nice long soak and prepared an area on your advice burnt toast, put her back in her table and she started wandering around. She's been loading up on calcium, she's had some food and now shes marching round the table sniffing soil , wagging her tail around and digging at bits. I can only hope these are good signs! They seem to be. I'm hoping she'll lay soon...being on tortoise watch means nothing else gets done! Lol.
That all sounds very promising Stacey. Keep up the long soaks, warm new sites & try to give her plenty of peace& quiet. I find mine tend to lay in the afternoon/ early evening & also when its hot & humid, so if you can recreate these conditions it might help. Can you raise the room temperature where she is?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 12:49 AM   #14
Stacey_Jo
Incubating

So after she spent yesterday building five nests and refilling them she had some more food and went to bed. This morning we stocked up the soil higher, had all the heating on and after about three hours of her hiding away undisturbed she reappeared a little shaky lookin for calcium, food and water. She's laid all five eggs and she's since been bathed and well fed. She's now getting some well deserved rest. Thanks so much for your help and support, so happy she didn't need any more injections.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 26-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #15
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Lovely looking eggs. It seems such a shame for the tort and you to go to all that bother for nothing!
Old 26-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #16
burnt toast
Adult

Great news Stacey! Such a relief when they settle down again afterwards.
I have a rshomed tort here Lilly, a Hermann herc who I never felt has been right. Anyway I realised she was eggbound a few months ago, 8 eggs! All safely laid after her injection...it was like a labour ward in my kitchen with her in the bath puffing & me pouring more warm water in!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #17
CherryBrandy
Adult

This is good indeed. Thank-you for sharing this as it will help a lot of other people also, CB