Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 24-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
Lynnieloo
Egg

I bought my Bulb off Ebay, it was much cheaper than Dazza's. Sorry but we have to share our bargains don't we? Mine was £45 with shipping and is a Mercury Vapour bulb. 100 watt.
Lynnieloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Was it a trex bulb? Yes please share all bargains but also think of customer care and refunds if things go wrong, i know Dazza has excellent customer care.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
herbie's mum
Incubating

sorry sandy i will try to remember in the future what is a murcury vapour bulb? is that the same as the zoo-med?
herbie's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #14
EJ
Adult

All those screw in bulbs that offer UVB are was is called self ballasted mercury vapor lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie's mum
sorry sandy i will try to remember in the future what is a murcury vapour bulb? is that the same as the zoo-med?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
Jason1
Hatched

Hi Mandy,

you say you are not using any other suplements. are you not using nutrobal?
Jason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #16
herbie's mum
Incubating

hi,
no, at the moment i am only using the calcium powder... as i have said i am a bit worried about all these different aditives!! what does it do? and why do they need it? i thought that as long as they were getting fresh leafy weeds that would be a good thing like in the wild... any advice would be gratefully recieved -x- mandy
Old 27-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #17
Jason1
Hatched

I take it your in the uk. The problem is tortoises need d3 to process calcium into a useable form. There is no D3 in green stuff only D2. D3 can be obtained through uvb and some sort of reaction under the skin. In the med there is something like 3000 hours of sunlight per year on average in the uk this is only 1000 per year. So as you can see even if kept outdoors the Uv exposer is a lot less and hence the amount of d3. This is the primary reason for using nutrobal please start using it once a day for young torts.

Jason
Old 27-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #18
herbie's mum
Incubating

hi again j, if you look at the top of this thread you will see that i asked about solar drops... but i was told that these are a bad thing... if you read down you will see what i mean... are there different sorts of d3 drops? are some better than others? god its a mine field out there please let me know your opinion... thanks -x- mandy
Old 27-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #19
Jason1
Hatched

Nutrobal is not just a d3 supplement. It conatins all sorts of trace elelments and minerals. The D3 in nutrobal is quite safe for daily use of the product and is reccomended everywhere. Please someone confirm so Mandy can see its not just my point of view. The sloar drops you refered to are a funny product. I e-mailed t-rex re these and they said they couldn't actually find out the ingredients or exactly how much D3 was in the product, although they did assure me it was safe. the directions are something like give one drop a week regardless of the size of the animal. Very dodgy to my mind and if it is truely safe the amount of D3 in there must be truely minimul and therefore pretty useless.

Jason
Old 27-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #20
Dazza
Adult

Liquid D3 can be deadly in the wrong dosage - providing the tortoise has an adequate habitat and access to good quality UVB there is no reason to use drops -not to mention a healthly balanced diet. trawl the tortoise trust website there are some really great articles

This might help :

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/d3.html

dazza
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote