Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Horsfield-G-07
Egg

Default 3 level tortoise table - Anyone Interested?

Have just finished designing and building a new tortoise table, It is on 3 levels giving the tortoise (or tortoises) a lot more room , for not much more footprint area than a normal 4x2 table.

Would anyone be interested in one of these for themselves?

If there is a lot of interest I may draw up a set of plans (parts and cutting list/diagram and assembly instructions), or may start producing these for sale.

Ive not seen anything similar anywhere else, i scoured the internet for plans, or 3 level tables for sale and came up blank.

Let me know your thoughts.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/...7112010045.jpg

Last edited by Horsfield-G-07; 07-11-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Horsfield-G-07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Torterra
Sub Adult

Looks good for me, cold end is on top of the Mountain? Meds will be at home on this table they like climbing/ live on hillsides are they? Also theres room for different substrates, and you can add a heatmat on the side of the middle level depending on which torts will live there.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Looks great - I have a 2 tier table. Marley uses the upper level just as much as the lower one
Anita Sayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Horsfield-G-07
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torterra View Post
Looks good for me, cold end is on top of the Mountain? Meds will be at home on this table they like climbing/ live on hillsides are they? Also theres room for different substrates, and you can add a heatmat on the side of the middle level depending on which torts will live there.
Yeah, the cold bit is on top of Everest just now. Have ordered another heat lamp for the winter, as temps have dropped a bit since winter has arrived.

Plan is :

*** 2 lamps on bottom for winter, should take it back up to the low 30's during the day, as heat rises this will make the 2nd level warm, and the 3rd level will be nice and cool

*** Going to keep his food and water on the top level, this should stop the food from going off in the heat

He seems to love it, is marching up and down the ramps.....funny

Think i may need to lid off the large ramp at the bottom as he tried to climb over it and landed on his back yesterday, stupid tort

Last edited by Horsfield-G-07; 09-11-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
yuna1971
Adult

That looks amazing, Horsefield.
Just a few little suggestions/tips - you might find areas will be a little dark. So you may need extra lighting, unless its for his sleeping area. Lights like normal daylight bulbs should do the trick or additional strips.
Depending on where the basking spot will be - the other areas may get on the cool side. If you are keeping him up this winter, this will need to be kept an eye on. With more area coverage (different levels), there is more to keep warm - and as mentioned above, to provide light for.
See how he reacts and observe routines, if he does start getting a little sleepy or sluggish - then the factors above might play a part.
Other than this - it is looking really good! Good stuff! xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
Horsfield-G-07
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
That looks amazing, Horsefield.
Just a few little suggestions/tips - you might find areas will be a little dark. So you may need extra lighting, unless its for his sleeping area. Lights like normal daylight bulbs should do the trick or additional strips.
Depending on where the basking spot will be - the other areas may get on the cool side. If you are keeping him up this winter, this will need to be kept an eye on. With more area coverage (different levels), there is more to keep warm - and as mentioned above, to provide light for.
See how he reacts and observe routines, if he does start getting a little sleepy or sluggish - then the factors above might play a part.
Other than this - it is looking really good! Good stuff! xx
Thanks for the advice

Have already ordered an additional 60W heat/UVA lamp to provide additional heat and light, as I noticed straight away a drop in heat, and as you say not enough light. Ive already got a 10.0 UVB Reptiglow, and a ceramic heat lamp as well.

The plan is to keep the top area as the cool and dark zone, I have partially lidded the top area so he has a cool/dark retreat, gonna put the additional Heat/UVA lamp on the bottom as the basking spot/ambient temp aint high enough.

The middle level has his food and water and Light from the UVB/UVA Reptiglow, and will get some warmth from the bottom level. Thought it may be best to try and keep the levels at different light and heat levels. (dont want a toasted tort, with sunburn

Do you think that will be ok after the changes?

Last edited by Horsfield-G-07; 11-11-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

I think it sounds good, well thought out. I think just observe temps and his behaviour, Horsefield.. and tweak if need be. You will notice if his behaviour drops off, if things need rethinking. But sounds good! xx Keep us posted!

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
fungimala
Egg

hi, how much do you want for it?
fungimala is offline   Reply With Quote