Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
kathypeter
Egg

Angry leopard death

hello very sad news today .I got 4 leopard hatchling last year and one has died,I was in contact with the breeder all through the problems I had with 2 of them as they where not gaining weight.I know that the 2 that have failed to grow where from the same mother,They where in a batch of 5 eggs,2 failed to hatch one was deformed and I had the other 2.One has died this morning and the other one is still after 10 months the same weight (30grams),they all had grasses, weeds,violate, calcium and daily baths,the right uv and heat lamp.why could 2 more that double their weight yet 2 fail to grow.I have had tortoises for years and this is my first failure.
Kate
AKA kathypeter
kathypeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

That is really sad to hear, sorry for you loss and I hope the other one put some weight on soon!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
JoesMum
Hatchling

That's really sad news

Is it worth taking the others to a vet to get them checked out?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
SarahC
Hatched

Sorry for your loss

Sarah

3:4:2 Herman
SarahC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
pagan queen
Adult

Have you tried bathing them in Reptoboost? I have read on here that it helps them if they fail to thrive. Also you could try feeding pellets, they are very good at helping torts gain weight. Hope you have better luck with the other one.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
tortydat
Sub Adult

This sadly does happen with leopard hatchlings they either thrive or alternatively stay the same weight for months and months and then either die or suddenly take off. Fingers crossed that the little one that hasn't grown yet suddenly gets going but it doesn't sound as though he's from a very good strain so I think you should be prepared for the worst. They are a very stressy tortoise despite their ultimate size.

Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
jeannette37
Juvenile

So sorry to hear your news

I don't own torts they own me
jeannette37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
EJ
Adult

The number one consideration is the temperature at which they are kept. For hatchling leopards in the UK the best enclosure is a viv. This allows you to easily maintain the proper temperatures.

The next consideration is the nutrition you provide. Weeds are good but a complete pelleted diet is so much easier to be sure you are providing the proper nutrition.

All tortoises have seperate personalities. Some tortoises might out compete others just by nature. You might consider seperating out the stronger tortoises during feeding or set up the weaker tortoise by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathypeter View Post
hello very sad news today .I got 4 leopard hatchling last year and one has died,I was in contact with the breeder all through the problems I had with 2 of them as they where not gaining weight.I know that the 2 that have failed to grow where from the same mother,They where in a batch of 5 eggs,2 failed to hatch one was deformed and I had the other 2.One has died this morning and the other one is still after 10 months the same weight (30grams),they all had grasses, weeds,violate, calcium and daily baths,the right uv and heat lamp.why could 2 more that double their weight yet 2 fail to grow.I have had tortoises for years and this is my first failure.
Kate
AKA kathypeter
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Just from reading the history as you know it, its clear something has gone wrong with this batch of eggs and resulting hatchlings from day one. Some hatchlings just fail to thrive for whatever reason though it sounds like this could be some genetic problem. By all means consult a vet and have tests done but I wouldn't expect that much could be done if it is a genetic problem.

Like EJ has recommended check your temps are suitable, separate the tortoises your concerned about and yes look to bulking up their nutrition just to see if it will kickstart their growth again

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
kathypeter
Egg

Many thanks for all messages.all my other tortoises 10 of them and various sizes,are kept to type and are fit and well and raring to go when the weather changes so lack of care is not a reason. I have kept the surviving baby well away from my others and still with the original pair that came a few weeks before them ,All uvs are in date as well. the babies where vet checked.I will try reptoboost as suggested, they do have cobs soaked on occasions.it is a real mystery as to what has gone wrong but it has been suggested is was a parental failure perhaps a brother to sister mating.The substrate is 50/50 play sand and top soil.
kathypeter is offline   Reply With Quote