Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 28-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
SpanishD
Juvenile

Default leopards outdoors now?

Hiya,

I know some of you keep your leos outdoors and they can go in and out as they please. Mine are still kept indoors and range in size from approx 11cm - 15cm and 401g- 655g. Can they go outdoors and is there a minimum temp when you would not put them out. it is about 8 degrees here today and the sun is out.

Thanks in advance.

Louise

Keeper of leopard tortoises
Springer spaniel......Molly
Blue and Gold Macaw.....Merlin
Blue fronted Amazon......Monty
Love Bird....Scooby
SpanishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
chrismould
Incubating

Hi louise I keep leapords and have done for the last 8 years. Mine are kept in a large garden shed with access to out doors but I do close this off in the winter as they would be out all day if I let them ! But what I do is I warm them up still around mid day and let them out for no more than an hour bring them back in and then let them back out for half an hour around 3 pm. I do this 5 days a week I have never had a problem doing this health wise. But my torts are a lot bigger and weight around 10kg each so will retain the heat better but I have had them out in snow this year for 30 and when I checked on them later they ran to the door to come out ! So I would say any small amour of time outside would not hurt to much. But make sure there warm first and keep a look out for any runny eyes and nose. These might not be visable at first few times out side but if there is any sign then stop straight away ! Good luck and please let me know how it went if you do put them out. Chris
Old 28-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Box girl
Sub Adult

Hi there,
I would not put them out as the ground is still very cold and damp. My advice to owners is if it warm enough for you to be outside with your t-shirt on and not get cold then it is warm enough for the torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishD View Post
Hiya,

I know some of you keep your leos outdoors and they can go in and out as they please. Mine are still kept indoors and range in size from approx 11cm - 15cm and 401g- 655g. Can they go outdoors and is there a minimum temp when you would not put them out. it is about 8 degrees here today and the sun is out.

Thanks in advance.

Louise

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Evie
Sub Adult

My Leopards are kept in an outside enclosure which has a sleeping/basking area which has a tubular heater on 24/7 and a thermo controlled wall heater which cuts in as necessary.

Their basking lamp comes on at 8.00am in the morning. I feed them around 9.30-10 and they come out into the front of the enclosure to eat then return to the basking lamp.

If it is not raining and obviously not too cold I will open up the back enclosure which has a covered area of grass around 7ft x 10 ft and leads out onto the main garden.

As long as they have had at least 3 hours basking they come out to graze - they do go back in when they have had enough.

They have been out today and at least 3 days last week.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

the 'T Shirt' business only really applies if you don't have any heat outside, my torts will come out in all weathers and love the rain as long as they have warmed up first in the shed and will go back in there when they are getting cold. It doesn't take them long to learn, but if you don't have outside heat then they'll only stay out for as long as it takes them to get cold, ie if they are warmed up first under a lamp inside, they won't put in much of an appearence at all if they don't have anywhere warm and its cold or dull. Even if we can stand outside in a T shirt without any direct sun the same applies they can't make much use of a warm ambient/air temp so they will feel cold.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Box girl
Sub Adult

Obviously if oyu ahve heat then it is Ok but I talk to many tortoise owners at health checks and it is simpler to say wait till the weather is warm. Also thse torts are very small so they can warm up quick but also cool down quick. my sulcata once warm will go out but they weigh 7 - 8 stone so can keep in the heat!
Also, torts that are not trained can get cold quite quickly if the weather turns if you are out like I am all day and they get stuck it takes them a long time to warm up again and therefore eat. The UK climate is nothing like most torts norm. Torts are not native to our climate and ceratinly where we live the ground is extremly wet and damp at the moment whcih is not good for Leopard torts.
Maybe I am too cautious but it stops me worrying at this time of year when I am at work. I spend most of my spring and summers checking the weather forecasts to see what the days are lie and wether the heating in my greenhouses will have warmed them up sufficiently and the day warm enough for them to go out. If in doubt I keep them in.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
Old 28-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

I'm lucky in that I don't work well only a part time cleaning job so I'm at home through the day. When I had my two hatchlings (incuabated by me) they would go out if it was sunny but did get cold very quickly when the sun went in so I'd bring them back in again, if you work all day thats different I wouldn't put them outside unless they had heat or the weather forecast was good, if they just dig and go to sleep they aren't benefiting anyway from being outside. Its a really good advantage having heat outside though and they don't take long to realise its there
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Evie
Sub Adult

I dont think you can be too cautious when it comes to tropical tortoises.

I agree for a new keeper or smaller leopards maybe it is best not to leave them out for long at all.

I would never leave mine outside when I was not home anyway and I too am fortunate to work short shifts and nights so I am home alot of the time.

I also agree that some Leopards do not have the sense to go back in the when they get too cold.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
SpanishD
Juvenile

Thanks everyone for your replys.

At this time of the year I would only put them out if I was home and able to bring them in as soon as they were cold! The sun was on their outdoor enclosure today so next time we have a sunny day I think I'll put them out for 30 mins and see how they get on. Last summer they spent lots of time outside and they do love it.....I don't like to keep them in.

Thanks again for the advice.

Louise

Keeper of leopard tortoises
Springer spaniel......Molly
Blue and Gold Macaw.....Merlin
Blue fronted Amazon......Monty
Love Bird....Scooby
SpanishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
Box girl
Sub Adult

Good luck lets hope they enjoy the sunshine. with it pouring it down here I certainly would!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishD View Post
Thanks everyone for your replys.

At this time of the year I would only put them out if I was home and able to bring them in as soon as they were cold! The sun was on their outdoor enclosure today so next time we have a sunny day I think I'll put them out for 30 mins and see how they get on. Last summer they spent lots of time outside and they do love it.....I don't like to keep them in.

Thanks again for the advice.

Louise