Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 25-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #51
LincsBren
Incubating

A family friend had a tortoise and I was always fascinated although never had much to do with him. I always vaguely wanted one, but as a child grew up surrounded by guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters, cats and dogs; then got my first pony when I was 11 and have had most of my free time (and money!) taken up with horses (which increased in number - at one point, I had 5!) ever since.

Then this year my favourite mare (we shouldn't have favourite pets, but I bet we all do!) broke her leg in a tragic accident and had to be put down. I sold her companion and have just kept her daughter, but I knew I would get some insurance money from her death and wasn't sure whether to buy another or not.

A week after the acciden, I went to a big county show, and a lady who sells tortoise accessories / offers advice etc had a stand there. I was drawn in by the cute tortoise teddies to start with, then started asking questions and quickly realised that maybe this was my opportunity to finally have my own! I started researching like mad, joined this forum, contacted a breeder and have been planning ever since. My first two hatchling girls will be coming to live with me next weekend and I am SO excited!

So for me, I supposed I was attacted by the cuteness and how unique they are. It's always been a hope that I might own one, although this year has been the first year when it was appropriate for me to have one (or two!) It's also a treat to myself after a rough year.
LincsBren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #52
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

I saw a tortoise and wanted one, Mum saw one, wanted one, we've been hooked from then
Old 25-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #53
SeeShell
Adult

LincsBren - do you have your tort(s) now? Sounds like they will be coming to a great home!
Old 25-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #54
onarock
Hatched

because chick's dig em.
Old 25-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #55
TortBabe
Adult

Lots of really interesting replies there. I don't agree with the control thing at all, my torts are my guilty pleasure, until a couple of years ago I used to spend every spare penny I had on my kids, until I realised I was creating 2 spoilt brats Now they have to earn their pocket money and save for things they want. My family encouraged me to spend some money on myself, though now I think they are horrified I have so many torts My kids are at school, and I don't feel so lost now I have the torts. I take care of them while the kids are out, I love walking the dog to get weeds and taking care of my million plants that I grow in my garden for them. I really am obsessed with them, and learning more. My Mum had a tort in the 60s named Toby and painted her address on his shell in nail polish as he was a persistent escape artist. Strangers used to knock the door and hand him in from wherever they had found him wandering. He went walk about just before they moved, and was not handed in, and my Aunt tells me they always thought one of the neighbours had kept him. My Nan successfully hibernated him for 5 years in the coal shed. Apparently my Mum was gutted that they never got Toby back. I never knew this story until My Aunt told me just before I got our first It kind of warms my heart that I have the same passion as my Mum did all those years ago And often wonder what ever became of Toby....who knows he could still be pottering around someones garden......
Old 26-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #56
Barney's Mum
Hatched

For me it’s just a unexplainable fascination. Ever since I was little, they were the first thing I wanted to visit in family trips to a zoo, and I would watch them for ages. I became a keeper myself a couple of years when my partner surprised me with Barney and the obsession with all things tortoise has grown. He (or rather she as lately thought) is endlessly interesting, fun to keep and completely adorable.
Old 26-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #57
twisted_angel
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortBabe View Post
My lovely daughter wanted one, so we went to visit one in our local petshop, the manager brought it out for us to see, and I was hooked We used to go visit it every Saturday Seriously though, I'm a stay at home mum and can't go out to work as my son has ASD, they are such a lovely hobby, it gives me something to do while they are at school
I work from home (small online business) as i have a daughter with Aspergers and would find it too difficult to go out the home to work for one reason and another with her problems. It was a actually my daughter who first became obsessed with them (not sure where she picked up on the idea) and kept pestering me to get one. I looked into it and found this forum and now i am as obsessed as she is. I love their characters and habits. Ideal for my daughter who is also Asthmatic so do not need to worry about allergies.

I too have spent most my money and time on my children for a long time but my Tortoises are something for me.

Really interesting thread
Einstein the Cherry Head Tortoise
Brad and Angelina the Musk Turtles
twisted_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #58
LincsBren
Incubating

SeeShell, how kind, thank you. They are being delivered by their breeder this Friday (so she can ensure she is happy with my set up and gives me chance to ask any last minute questions!)

I am SO excited - I think I am ready, or will be as soon as my Arcadia light / holder / stand arrive. Once I've got it set up I'll get pics up here.
LincsBren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #59
jamestaylor18
Hatched

I keep tortoises because I have always wanted one! They are so cute and interesting to watch! I just love em!
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote