Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
EJ
Adult

Before you 'take the plunge'... please research thoroughly as to why you would want to take the plunge... and throw out the phrase 'because it is natural'... nothing about you keeping the pet tortoise in the UK is 'natural'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
I decided not to hibernate him as I only recovered him this summer, after 7 years lost in my garden. Thought it would be a good idea to keep him up until I was sure he is healthy. Plus I am not confident enough yet to take the plunge.

Rach, our central heating is on all night. Our upstairs radiators have thermostats on each one so we can leave the heating on a constant steady temp. The torts are downstairs so there is no real fluctuations in the ambient temps.

My hatchling is fine, she could eat for England. I think Herbie is just reacting to his routine he set up in the wild as before I got him he was wild caught and then I only had him for 2 winters in a viv.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
pagan queen
Adult

I have 100 watt daylight/sad bulbs and a 60 watt normal bulb. The daylights are on for 12 hours a day and I vary the 60 watt bulb use, putting them on for the mid day so there is more heat during that time like there would be in summer. They move away from their basking lights when the 60 watts are on as it is warmer.

At night they just have the normal room temperature which is about 17 degrees but can vary as we leave the living room door open for the dog so the upstairs coolness can filter down.

I don't know if I will hibernate next year or not. It seems a bit daunting and although Herbie has slowed down he has only just stopped eating and his weight was 1427 on the 1st of November and is now 1292, he is 19.5 cm. So I don't think he is doing too bad, obviously if that's a lot of weight loss then please tell me. My baby on the other hand i has gained 4 g from the 1st Nov to the 6th Dec and has clear signs growth on her shell.

I can get him to eat half a grape and a few pellets or weeds every couple of days but he's not eating every day and when he does eat it's less than normal.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote