Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Default Tortoise Behaviour

I've just moved my horsfield tortoise from a small, all glass, terrarium, into a tortoise table I've made using an old bookcase. He only had a small, household light for heat and NO UVB. I now have a proper basking lamp and UVB light. The temperatures are now between 72-74F at the cool end and 90-92F at the basking end. Are these temps ok? I'm also using a mix of sand and topsoil, rather than the woodshavings and sand the previous owner used.

My question is this: would I see a big difference in his behaviour overnight? He is much more active and inquisitive this morning and.....he seems to recognise me (am I off my head?). Does this seem normal?
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick

Hi Petrus
That sounds much better (although I'm not sure what those temps are in C they sound about right).
Yes as he has been moved to a much better environment I'm not surprised to see a quick improvement in him. Be warned though that torts can be stubborn so after this initial burst of happiness he may seem a bit grumpy as he gets used to his new home. In the long run though you will see a big improvement in him I'm sure!
WriterNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
EJ
Adult

No... except for a period of inactivity. Tortoises do not like change. Extreme change is even worse. You are doing well with the change you are seeing. Given the proper circumstance... Russians are one of the most animated tortoises around... what it's looking for is... food.

The setup sounds great IF you can maintain that temperature gradient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
I've just moved my horsfield tortoise from a small, all glass, terrarium, into a tortoise table I've made using an old bookcase. He only had a small, household light for heat and NO UVB. I now have a proper basking lamp and UVB light. The temperatures are now between 72-74F at the cool end and 90-92F at the basking end. Are these temps ok? I'm also using a mix of sand and topsoil, rather than the woodshavings and sand the previous owner used.

My question is this: would I see a big difference in his behaviour overnight? He is much more active and inquisitive this morning and.....he seems to recognise me (am I off my head?). Does this seem normal?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Neddy
Sub Adult

Some tortoises don't like change but this isn't across the board. I take Ralph to Dave's parent every Christmas and he has no change to his personality eats as normal etc.

It is brilliant that he is active when you have done this massive change
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
Some tortoises don't like change but this isn't across the board. I take Ralph to Dave's parent every Christmas and he has no change to his personality eats as normal etc.

It is brilliant that he is active when you have done this massive change
I did think about introducing changes slowly, but the set up was totally abysmal so I thought this massive change was necessary.

He seems to have gone back to his normal daily pattern. Out of the cave, eats, basks, back in the cave, out again, eats, basks, bath, basks and back in the cave. It is amazing how quickly you become besotted with them. In actual fact, if everything goes well with this one, which I am sure it will, I am going to get a Hermans in the summer!
Old 19-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

I should have said in my last post that I know you can't mix the two - so a Hermans will require another table.
Old 19-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Neddy
Sub Adult

I only have the one and won't be getting another, dont want to divide my time lol
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
EJ
Adult

You might rephrase it in saying that 'I know some people don''t think keeping 2 different species is a good idea...'

There are others who do not share the same feeling. There is nothing inherently wrong with keeping 2 different species together. Using a little common sense will show you as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
I should have said in my last post that I know you can't mix the two - so a Hermans will require another table.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
TortBabe
Adult

You have been bitten by the bug! Hermanns are lovely, you will soooooo enjoy keeping them
Old 19-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

I should have also said that I only have one horsfield now. The male was seriously pestering the female AND stealing all the food. I can't really afford to set up two tables right now, so she went to live with an experienced keeper of tortoises close by.