Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 12-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Default Bath time

I've just given my two a bath for the first time. They seemed to quite enjoy it, as far as I could tell. They both passed urine and stools. The stoold were well formed. The urine was like toothpaste and an off white colour. Does this sound ok?

The previous owner said to me "They've not had their bath this week". I thought you should bath them about 3 times a week? I'm a bit concerned that they might be a bit dehydrated.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Minty913
Hatched

The white substance is urates (concentrated uric acid). It's a perfectly normal product of protein metabolism, but if it's being passed more than a couple of times a week, it can indicate too much protein in the diet.

Urates should be anything from totally liquid, to about the same consistency as toothpaste. If they're hard or gritty when they're expelled, this indicates dehydration.

or so i have read lol

Minty
Minty913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Minty is right in saying that urates are perfectly normasl, and that as long as the consistancy isn't hard and gritty there's nothing to worry about

Not sure about more than 3 times a week being asn indicator of being too much protein, it's not something I've ever heard before...where did you read that? Not saying it's wrong, just would like to know the source of the info

As for the bathing, I would bathe adults once or twice a week, but babies anything up to once a day
Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Minty is right in saying that urates are perfectly normasl, and that as long as the consistancy isn't hard and gritty there's nothing to worry about

Not sure about more than 3 times a week being asn indicator of being too much protein, it's not something I've ever heard before...where did you read that? Not saying it's wrong, just would like to know the source of the info

As for the bathing, I would bathe adults once or twice a week, but babies anything up to once a day
When are they classed as adults?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
shellonia
Sub Adult

They are adults at sexual maturity which can vary but would say about 8-12 covers male/female maturity.
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellonia View Post
They are adults at sexual maturity which can vary but would say about 8-12 covers male/female maturity.
So at 3 yrs old they are still juveniles and should be bathed everyday?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

I would do that in any case Petrus. Its winter, they are indoors - therefore a dryer environment in any event. You only have to look at how soil drys out with the heat lamps to see how things can get when bereft of moisture.
I dont see how it could hurt to do this every day. It will also stimulate them into activity and eating their food. They may still have a settling in period...where they might not eat much and seem a little offish. But this, if it happens is normal behaviour.
Hydration is an important factor for them at the moment, so I would bath daily IMO. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Minty913
Hatched

It was some thing i read on tortoisetrust website a wile ago. but it was for tortoise/turtles so do not know how much truth there is to it.

Minty
Minty913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
I would do that in any case Petrus. Its winter, they are indoors - therefore a dryer environment in any event. You only have to look at how soil drys out with the heat lamps to see how things can get when bereft of moisture.
I dont see how it could hurt to do this every day. It will also stimulate them into activity and eating their food. They may still have a settling in period...where they might not eat much and seem a little offish. But this, if it happens is normal behaviour.
Hydration is an important factor for them at the moment, so I would bath daily IMO. xx
Cheers. Yes, I will bath them daily. I don't think they've had regular baths at all. Really, they are in poor state. The guy I got them from must have known nothing. He gave me the third degree as well, asking what I knew about tortoises. They are so underweight and have never had any Vitamin D3.

Having said that, they are eating like horses. They love the escarole, romaine, raddichio and rocket. They have cracking personalities and are quite cheeky. I hope they will go from strength to strength.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

Thats good to hear. Try and take as much knowledge from people on this site as you can. In terms of housing, substrate, diet, husbandry.... Its all very important to ensure they DO get a good life with you. The work starts now. And its only from asking questions and taking advice on board that you will get to know whats really best for them. Well done in taking them in. It wont be an easy job, but in due time you will find things less of a problem

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote