Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
Izar
Egg

Default Heating/lighting query.

Wondering if someone could advise me please as I’m new to this.

Have a 4x2’ table for my Hermann hatchling. I was advised to use the megaray 160w combi bulb.

The optimum height is 16-18” above shell for the correct uv. I have been adjusting the height to get the 30-32c basking spot, but have had to now raise the lamp to 22” from bulb to shell to maintain this temp. When it was at 18” the temp at soil level was reaching 40c so I was worried she would burn herself. My house isn’t overly warm, ant the cool end of the table is a constant 20c during the day.

What am I best doing? I don’t want her getting too hot but am worried she won’t be getting optimum uv now. I could try the 100w combi bulb but the cold end might be too cold. Or am I better adding in some more uv somehow?

TIA.
Izar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
GemJam
Incubating

Hi Izar,

I also use a combi bulb, but at a lower wattage of 100w. I find this provides a suitable temperature and the correct distance for the UV, so would be worth trying this.

When your tort gets up in the morning, they will be able to monitor and maintain their temperatures, with the option of going to the cool end or basking under the heat and anywhere inbetween.

When I overwindetered my Hermanns, I found that she resisted getting up in the morning, so I used to wake her and put her under the lamp. This was probably due to the room temperature being slightly on the cold side.

I hope this helps. I am no way an expert, hopefully someone with more experience can also advise.

Gemma

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Izar, 160 watt is far too hot and if you think of a cone shape emitting from the bulb it will cover a good surface area but as you rightly assessed the UV will be diminished on surface / shell area. My 100 watt on my tiny Hermann is 12 inches above and that emits 32 degrees (high uv) - she never sits under it preferring to bask to the side - always good idea I think to place near a corner as the heat bounces off the sides - nice little sun trap method. My 80w is 8 inches (from bottom of bulb) and that is a cheapy 80w to test the market. it emits UV levels very high - extreme which is good. I would suggest 160 watt is for a large tortoise in a much bigger area such as shed or area without ambient heat.
Hope that helps - the optimum is 28 - 32 degrees and cool end can be 16 - 22 . They must be able to get away from the heat as cool down is so important and consistently too high is a killer so best to switch off for now and invest in slightly less wattage, it wont harm for a short period - long term effects wont show - as in impacted poop/stones, CB
Old 09-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

This cost me around £20. Old cut offs £5, 10 screws to fix , tray around £13 and separator with tunnel in middle. it has got a 160 watt but that's because it was placed in an very unheated room and cool end had a 40 w moon light at night just to take the chill off. Total cost with coco soil, and lamp around £45 - ok its heath robinson but the tortoise will be outside in the sunshine all summer and it doubles as a run on the grass anyway (depending on size of tort).

Old 09-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

can you get a very unheated room.....rhetorical question CB
Old 09-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izar View Post
Wondering if someone could advise me please as I’m new to this.

Have a 4x2’ table for my Hermann hatchling. I was advised to use the megaray 160w combi bulb.

The optimum height is 16-18” above shell for the correct uv. I have been adjusting the height to get the 30-32c basking spot, but have had to now raise the lamp to 22” from bulb to shell to maintain this temp. When it was at 18” the temp at soil level was reaching 40c so I was worried she would burn herself. My house isn’t overly warm, ant the cool end of the table is a constant 20c during the day.

What am I best doing? I don’t want her getting too hot but am worried she won’t be getting optimum uv now. I could try the 100w combi bulb but the cold end might be too cold. Or am I better adding in some more uv somehow?

TIA.
No two setups and houses are the same, you are doing well just by trying to get it right. Once you have found what works for you and your tortoise stick to it:0)
If you think you could add extra UV then add a tube if possible, as you cant have too much UV.
When the UV depletes from the combination bulb, then next time it might work better for you and your tortoise having separate UV and heat bulb. I have used both systems and both work as well as each other.
If the cold end is too cold, your tortoise just will not use it:0) Or you could if possible move the housing a little nearer to the heat:0)
Once the weather warms up, everything will change again:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there

Some years ago the strip uv lamps were feeble to the extent that the combined lamps had the edge over them just for that. This is no longer the case with the strip uv's such as the Arcadia T5 12% desert strip blasting out high levels of uvb and they continue to do so for a very long time. Some keepers don't seem aware of this and continue to use combined lamps on the basis that it's the only way to get decent uvb levels.

Over an area of 4x2 the 160 watt Megaray is likely covering the greatest portion of it with a high level of heat and uvb and if it's raised up then the uv might not be enough and an even larger portion of the table is being warmed up but to a lesser extent. What we need is a gradient of temperature and a lower wattage combined lamp might be OK if you're keen to stick with a combined one. I tried the 100 watt Arcadia combined a while ago and thought the heat output was feeble but my room wasn't very warm to begin with.

If you decide to use separate sources you can continue to use the lamp holder and shade with a halogen lamp. But yes there would be expense buying a strip lamp set-up with a power supply. Combined lamps work best for some keepers in some set-ups but in my opinion the separates approach is more flexible and offers more options.