Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 20-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
Widgitwoo
Egg

Default Hibernating

Hi,
I have 2 tortoises 1 herman and 1 spur thigh, they are 6 years old. I got them about a year and a half ago and was advised by my vet not to hibernate them last year due to issues from the last owner.
The herman (Tommy) decided she wanted to hibernate end of December beginning of January time so the vet advised what I needed to do and all went well. She decided she wanted to hibernate a bit earlier so I got everything organised and she is currently in the special tortoise fridge happily sleeping.

I have been gradually shortening the amount of the heat lamp is on in the Spur thigh ( Queenie) enclosure and she is on week 2 of no food. She seems quite unfazed by this but is still really active - have to get her out at least once a day if not twice for her to wander around the house.
Is this still normal - will she be ok to go into hibernation in 2 weeks time?
It will be her first ever time hibernating and I don't want to force her into it if that makes any sense!!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Widgitwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgitwoo View Post
Hi,
I have 2 tortoises 1 herman and 1 spur thigh, they are 6 years old. I got them about a year and a half ago and was advised by my vet not to hibernate them last year due to issues from the last owner.
The herman (Tommy) decided she wanted to hibernate end of December beginning of January time so the vet advised what I needed to do and all went well. She decided she wanted to hibernate a bit earlier so I got everything organised and she is currently in the special tortoise fridge happily sleeping.

I have been gradually shortening the amount of the heat lamp is on in the Spur thigh ( Queenie) enclosure and she is on week 2 of no food. She seems quite unfazed by this but is still really active - have to get her out at least once a day if not twice for her to wander around the house.
Is this still normal - will she be ok to go into hibernation in 2 weeks time?
It will be her first ever time hibernating and I don't want to force her into it if that makes any sense!!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Why do you have to get her out to walk around the house?
The idea is for them to slow down ready to hibernate. If she is still active then the ambient temps are too high.
The wind down should be done in a coldish room, as this does help:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I agree with Sandy. Lower temperatures at night especially important. What I do is to put them outside in a safe place at night during wind down as my house is too warm otherwise.

At night when they are on wind down anything down to 5C or so is good and anything over 15C is going against the grain.