Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 23-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
TobyJen
Egg

Default Marginated tortoise - what improvements?

Hi all, we have a 2 year old Marginated tortoise called Toby. He is very active, eats everything in sight and seems fine. I am worried that he is getting a bit bored and also have heard that we need to provide him with a humid spot to hide in but not sure how to go about it. We want to provide a good home for him so thought I would seek some opinions/advice. I would add a picture of him but I have no idea how to? Thanks in advance, Jen
TobyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

Hello and welcome, can you tell us what substrate you have him on, what kind of uv you have and what kind of heat bulb, combined or separate , what are his basking temps. Sorry for all the questions, but it will help us to help you.
You can create a humid hide, by putting his hide onto damp top soil ( not wet) keep the top soil deep, so he can dig down, the hide will keep the humidity in and the when he digs, he will create and humid micro climate. Humidity only needs to be 65/70% , so not too high, this combined with available drinking water, will help with smooth shelll growth.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

welcome Toby, Welcome Jen ! nice spray with a mister each day adds humidity. I spray mine without fail every day. (over their food too). I find only Horsfields need a challenge in the way of an obstacle course - margies seem to be the chil lax torts of the tortoise world, CB
Old 24-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
TobyJen
Egg

We have a combined bulb, 30 ish under lamp, 20-22 away from lamp. Fed entirely on weeds/flowers and use a powder supplement sprinkled on. Substrate is coconut coir. We did have a Sand/topsoil mix but he kept eating it constantly. Thank you for your replies x
TobyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyJen View Post
We have a combined bulb, 30 ish under lamp, 20-22 away from lamp. Fed entirely on weeds/flowers and use a powder supplement sprinkled on. Substrate is coconut coir. We did have a Sand/topsoil mix but he kept eating it constantly. Thank you for your replies x
Its natural for tortoises to eat soil, they get over it quite quickly:0)
Soil is far better than any other substrate for tortoises, not always for the keepers:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

Just top soil on its own is the best substrate for torts, it will hold the moisture better than coco fibre. I've kept tortoises for 45 years and I've never known one to fill its self up with soil, as sandy has said I'm sure he will stop, they would much rather eat weeds and flowers.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyJen View Post
the little ones seem to test out the different surfaces with their mouths and ingest. sometimes smells and any additional nutrients are attractive so make sure as pure as possible. Wait til they get bigger and eat a stone the size of a house - your heart stops a little ! everything that goes in should in theory come out. CB