Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
Donnie
Egg

Default New Owner

Hi we bought our Horsefield tortoise a week ago. We were sold a 'kit', however they didn't have the usual bulb in stock so they gave us a 160w bulb and a cage/wire dome to put it in. They told us that is would be fine. We measured the temperature under the bulb today and it was 40c! I phoned the shop and they said it was fine as the tortoise as the we should measure the temperatures 10cm away from the hottest spot but this was still 32c. The cold end of the table was 22c. We can't higher the lamp as it is fixed on the table, so should we change to a glow light lamp shade and a solar glow bulb that is a lower wattage or just leave things as they are. Our tortoise keeps digging into the corner of his house/covered area and staying there. He has eaten very little and he has got black marks round his mouth. Please help!!!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Firstly it's not unusual behaviour for a new tort to do what it's doing. Secondly, the temperature is slightly high but not by a massive amount. The tortoise would move away from it to where it was more comfortable but 34 or 36 under the bulb would be better. A lesser strength bulb may not be hot enough unless you are able to lower it. 22 at the cool end isn't bad but 18-20 would be better probably. I wouldn't buy a Solar Glo, had them in the past and they were poor quality. There are better makes than that and also, there are UV tubes and an ordinary spotlight bulb for heat
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Hi we bought our Horsefield tortoise a week ago. We were sold a 'kit', however they didn't have the usual bulb in stock so they gave us a 160w bulb and a cage/wire dome to put it in. They told us that is would be fine. We measured the temperature under the bulb today and it was 40c! I phoned the shop and they said it was fine as the tortoise as the we should measure the temperatures 10cm away from the hottest spot but this was still 32c. The cold end of the table was 22c. We can't higher the lamp as it is fixed on the table, so should we change to a glow light lamp shade and a solar glow bulb that is a lower wattage or just leave things as they are. Our tortoise keeps digging into the corner of his house/covered area and staying there. He has eaten very little and he has got black marks round his mouth. Please help!!!
If you really have a horsfield (shops have been known to sell incorrect species as they are mostly ignorant) then 40c is far too hot. And he/she will spend time away from the heat. Especially if temps outside are warm too.
Your temps need to be more like 32c and a little lower. Horsfields come from a cold climate mostly, and are only active for a few months because of this.
Your tortoise along with heat, needs bright light, as light is the first thing to make tortoises move, they then move towards heat. They bask and then they feed. Then bask again.
When you first get a tortoise, the will be hiding away as they are stressed, they dont like change. So for the first week or two, handle as little as you can, to give them chance to adjust.
They need water available in a shallow container.
Diet should be weeds and flowers.
I hope this helps.

Also your tortoise should have clear bright eyes, a dry nose and not gapping:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

I agree with EVERYTHING Sandy has said, and also please be aware, pet shops are in the business of selling you stuff, that you don't need and that is incorrect, they mostly are not experienced tortoise keepers, and do not have the knowledge that we on here or other forums will have. So please start asking us anything you need to know. But start with what Sandy has said.
Just one more thing what substrate have you got your tort on, because if they have sold you wood pellets or wood chips or anything else like that, change it ASAP, and pop along to homebase or wickes and get some sterilised type soil ( with no adatives ) make it nice and deep, because horsefield so like to dig, just top soil, nothing else.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

hello Donnie, welcome to the site. agree with all of the above and watch that substrate as shops will sell you goods that go have to replenish. even a water dish costing £6.00 odd is a waste as usually they aren't treated and will collect bacteria. try and go natural as possible when you can. if you can also post pickies as we can pick up bits that you may not think to ask. Horsfields are usually versatile little things but they do bury as they love to do it but have a balance between burying down and not eating to burying down for a sleep and rest. Good luck CB
Old 03-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Jan W
Sub Adult

Welcome to the site Donnie. You will receive sound advice from experienced keepers.

Look forward to seeing a photo when you have time - note you need to have done 5 posts before you can post a picture.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Sorry, I had overlooked the fact that it was a Horsfield. Skim reading again
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
Donnie
Egg

Thank you for the replies, sorry I'm only just getting back to you I had some issues getting back on the forum.

My tortoise is about 19 months old

Since I last posted I have changed the basking/uvb to a 100w bulb. This seems to keep the temperature under the lamp about 30 - 31c and at the cooler end around 20c. I believe this is a better temperature for him.

I am still worried though as he still has black round his mouth area and is sleeping a lot. He gets up around 10am and ends up going back inside his bed area before 12pm.
The temp in his bed is about 21c. He has a mound of substrate in there and a little buried plant pot that he snugs himself into. His lamp is very close to the doorway of his bed. It has been suggested to me to move the lamp to the other side of the table.
When he comes out he is active enough, walking around and over his bark hide.
i am getting home from work about 5.45 and having to wake him to feed him and the same on the evenings I bath him.
He does seem to eat fine when I wake him for food, but surely I shouldn't be having to wake him?

Is there a better time I should be feeding him?
I bath him every 3rd day, is this enough?

I feed him mixed leaves with calcium sprinkled on top,I tried him with some dried flower mix but he didn't seem to eat it. He eats the leaves fine though, and seems to prefer the red ones.

The substrate I have been sold is herbi floor, which I have been reading mixed things about. Could this be causing problems? Although this is what he was on in the store and tbf he seemed happy enough. He was active and had more of a green colour round his mouth not black.

I leave a shallow bowl of water in there which I change daily and I spot check his substrate daily.

Is there anything more I should be doing or should I be contacting a vet to check everything is ok?
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

you are being over cautious Donnie. Don't worry about the black it is probably natural growth on the skin and they all have unique markings. try and keep as natural as possible and ditch the substrate for a more natural feel like top soil, coco coir. Horsfields burrow all the time - they feel safe having something touching their shells so don't expect them to sun bath right out in the open because in the wild they would be picked off by birds or other prey mammals. Especially so small. I have adults and two tiny 9 month olds and I don't get to see them hardly unless im at home during the day - I feed morning on a slate and its usually cleared when I get home. Feed mornings if can as they will warm up - eat - sleep - that's likely it for the day. As long as mouth is devoid of yukky food, tongue pink, eyes black beady, and poops like a herb package with white urates on occasion then he is likely doing ok. I would weigh him and make sure he gains a little each month 2 grammes odd is the 'sandy rule of thumb' I think you will find ! Sleeping lots is not unusual especially as seasons change, keep posting though and feel free to ask away CB
Old 18-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #10
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
you are being over cautious Donnie. Don't worry about the black it is probably natural growth on the skin and they all have unique markings. try and keep as natural as possible and ditch the substrate for a more natural feel like top soil, coco coir. Horsfields burrow all the time - they feel safe having something touching their shells so don't expect them to sun bath right out in the open because in the wild they would be picked off by birds or other prey mammals. Especially so small. I have adults and two tiny 9 month olds and I don't get to see them hardly unless im at home during the day - I feed morning on a slate and its usually cleared when I get home. Feed mornings if can as they will warm up - eat - sleep - that's likely it for the day. As long as mouth is devoid of yukky food, tongue pink, eyes black beady, and poops like a herb package with white urates on occasion then he is likely doing ok. I would weigh him and make sure he gains a little each month 2 grammes odd is the 'sandy rule of thumb' I think you will find ! Sleeping lots is not unusual especially as seasons change, keep posting though and feel free to ask away CB

I agree totally:0)
Definitely move the heat from the housing. They need a drop in temps at night. Especially horsfields, whose temps in the wild are a lot colder than meds.
Substrate should be soil, its their natural substrate. Shops will sell you a lot of things you dont need for profit. The needs of a tortoise go out the window when profits and made.
And for horsfields 2grms or less a month is about right:0)
This time of the year their days will be a lot shorter, as they rise with light and warmer days, and sense the afternoon drop in temps. So go to bed then.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote