Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 23-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
sprakey34
Egg

Default Help, Help, Help...

just got in from a 24hrs working shift to be told by my partner that this afternoon he found one of my babies was on it's back in the shallow water bowl - time it was there is not known - anytime since this morning. He said when he picked it up it had a lump at the back end. I looked and saw this tiny tort has an almost clear,fluid filled (i think ) sack, the size of a small pea, bubbled from it's rear end - hard to see as it is so small but it looks like it has tiny blood vessels in it. Have taken photos . Please help me to help this little one.http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/Me...ho7qd.jpg.html
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/Me...t5jhz.jpg.html
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/Me...umoot.jpg.html
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/Me...ogtwn.jpg.html
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/Me...vbkxi.jpg.html

Meriel
sprakey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

Sorry about that , that's how little one in sickbay got unwell upside down in the water and got his eyes infected from it. I think too tiny for a prolapse, but sure it has been known. I suggest it's strained itself in the water perhaps. I think if resting and asleep now but if still like it in the morning I would call the Downland Practice in havant and seek some advice failing anyone coming back on here. It may go down/absorbed back of its own accord. Can you remind us all how old ? CB
Old 23-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
sprakey34
Egg

Hi thanks, after finding it I gently cleaned soil off and placed tortoise on kitchen paper while I was posting on here. When I checked after about an hour most of the sac had gone, the paper seemingly having absorbed the fluid. I have covered the tail in icing sugar (googled this) hoping it will totally go. Will call Downland tomorrow. Tortoise is about 8 weeks old and is 18grams so very small.
Meriel.
Old 24-09-2016, 02:07 AM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

I would say she strained hard to empty herself. Its a stress reflex of being upturned. Sugar is good. Will help it go down. If its still out you need to stop the tissue drying out. You could smear with vaseline and or cover with cling film. Good luck, I hope she's OK x
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
Gordon
Adult

It looks like it's bladder and I'm sure if you keep it clean in some wats water it will go back in fine.

Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprakey34 View Post
Hi thanks, after finding it I gently cleaned soil off and placed tortoise on kitchen paper while I was posting on here. When I checked after about an hour most of the sac had gone, the paper seemingly having absorbed the fluid. I have covered the tail in icing sugar (googled this) hoping it will totally go. Will call Downland tomorrow. Tortoise is about 8 weeks old and is 18grams so very small.
Meriel.
Hope all ok Meriel. Poor little peep probably had a right fright ! and so did you by the sounds. There is never an easy way with them turning over. The sides of my temp table bends outwards at a degree so that its not bolt upright and the'y cant stand on tippy toes and fall backwards but one has managed to tip even so. Think he rolled down sideways and then toppled...its heart stopping when you find them like it sometimes, CB
Old 24-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
sprakey34
Egg

Thank you . Tort been to vet and had prolapse put back under anaesthetic - lord knows how given the size of this tort. On antibiotics for a few days now and back home.
Meriel.
Old 24-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

Thats good news. Im so pleased
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
sprakey34
Egg

It was. Not so good this morning. Prolapse back out. Yesterday vet discussed putting in a purse string stitch but decided not to as it would mean another anaesthetic to remove it. Wish he had now as I will now have to pay for 2 more operations and they still can't guarantee it won't keep happening. Plus this tort is so small to keep going through this. I plan to gift this tortoise( not registered so cannot sell) but how can I pass on possible ongoing issue like this to a new owner. How fair is it to the little fella too?
Meriel.
Old 25-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

What did the vet say if it came out again ? I think the recommendation is to add a stitch in and once the tort builds up strength it shouldn't happen again. Do the soak in sugar again as this will reduce it (doesn't need to be icing sugar ). see if he will absorb it back in naturally? with a little guidance? but if dependent on what tissue it is it wont be absorbed - what did the vet do to get it back in do you know? Some humans live with prolapses. as he grows I am sure it will be ok. Sorry meant to add - my view is back to vets and get the stitch on their advice though.... CB

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 25-09-2016 at 06:17 PM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote