Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 15-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
LorrainePettitt
Egg

Default Red Foot Tortoise Shell Issue...

Hello, just noticed this on one of my redfoots{see pics}. He is about 7 years old and as what we think all the things he needs for a healthy life . He is just 1 of two redfoots living together and the other looks fine....any help would be most welcome..btw he seems fine and we have not noticed any changes in his beheaviour.Sorry can not attach pictures for some reason. I will try to explain the condition. on the edge of his shell it looks like the outer shell as chipped off leaving the underside exposed. The area is about 2cm x 2cm .. The shell is still hard not soft and it does not appear to be bothering him..
LorrainePettitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorrainePettitt View Post
Hello, just noticed this on one of my redfoots{see pics}. He is about 7 years old and as what we think all the things he needs for a healthy life . He is just 1 of two redfoots living together and the other looks fine....any help would be most welcome..btw he seems fine and we have not noticed any changes in his beheaviour.Sorry can not attach pictures for some reason. I will try to explain the condition. on the edge of his shell it looks like the outer shell as chipped off leaving the underside exposed. The area is about 2cm x 2cm .. The shell is still hard not soft and it does not appear to be bothering him..
Hi there,. Need to see the picture. Email it to me and I'll post it for you.

Smalley.craig@googlemail.com
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
Here you go , to all. These photos are of Lorrainepettitt Tortoise.

Last edited by Anyfoot; 19-08-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 19-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #4
Anyfoot
Incubating

Did you see any shell rot or fungus prior to the scute lifting off. Because the entire scute has not lifted I'm guessing it's either an injury or shell rot. Has a dog been near this tort? I have one I rescued that has 2 scutes damaged due to a dog bite.
I can't tell but is that scute directly above the head getting shell rot too.
When a torts scutes lift it's usually diet disease or lack of uvb, but in this instance you would normally see the entire scute lift from the scute boarders. Yours looks like it's rotted with fungus.
Either way, put some athletes foot cream on that open wound. This will kill any fungus if there is some. Do it every day for a week. That covers if it's shell rot.
If it's not fungus, you need to make sure she's getting enough uvb(sunlight or artificial uvb) and look at the diet.
Can you us a general idea of the diet please. Could be lacking in vitamins.
I would take this to a exotic vets to get some advice just incase it is a disease setting in.
Hoping someone else can add something here.
Old 20-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
LorrainePettitt
Egg

hello, thanks for the replys. Their diet( I have 2 redfoots living together)mainly consist of
Rocket
Romain Lettuice
pak choi
small amounts of kale
mushroom
chicken
Fruits including apples pears water mellon blueberries rasberries strawberries and peach and plum..
My uv strip is only about 10 months old ...but how do know if it is still working correctly.
If you like I could send you pics of their living arrangements..
Old 20-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #6
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
hello, thanks for the replys. Their diet( I have 2 redfoots living together)mainly consist of
Rocket
Romain Lettuice
pak choi
small amounts of kale
mushroom
chicken
Fruits including apples pears water mellon blueberries rasberries strawberries and peach and plum..
My uv strip is only about 10 months old ...but how do know if it is still working correctly.
If you like I could send you pics of their living arrangements..
Yeah, send photos of enclosure please.

You need a solar meter to check the uvb output. Or just change the bulb ever 6 to 12 months.
Lorraine, the greens side of your diet needs more veriety I think. Store bought greens should only be used when we come unstuck, like in the winter.
You need some weeds in there, weeds offer far more vitamins and fiber than the crap we eat. Lol not saying don't feed romaine,rocket or kale. But only when it's a must. I throw romaine in a few times a wk just to give them a change. But natural weeds that they eat are endless. Just make sure they have no pesticides on them.

I feed regularly

Broadleaf plantain, narrowleaf plantain, dandilions, smooth Sow thistle. Prickly sow thistle, thistle, stinging nettles, occasionally grass, hibiscus leaves, grapevine leaves, money tree leaves.
Theres more but I forget names. I will get a list of good foods for you.

Make sure you offer cuttlebone 24/7.
Old 20-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
Anyfoot
Incubating

Add to that list.
White clover
Red clover
Crimson clover.
Alfalfa

There's more lol.
Old 22-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #8
LorrainePettitt
Egg

hello, thanks for the food list, problem is i have not heard of a lot of the things you have said never mind know what they look like. Were would i find these things . The only few things i know and have seen are dandilion and nettles.could you advise were i might find the other things atall. Many thanks lorraine.
Old 22-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
hello, thanks for the food list, problem is i have not heard of a lot of the things you have said never mind know what they look like. Were would i find these things . The only few things i know and have seen are dandilion and nettles.could you advise were i might find the other things atall. Many thanks lorraine.
If you put the names of the weeds into your browser, it will come up with pictures:0)
Most are readily available in your area:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
Anyfoot
Incubating

Do you guys use TTT(the Tortoise table).