Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 14-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Widgitwoo
Egg

Default Tortoise not eating and losing weight

Hi.
I am a bit worried about one of my tortoises, Tilly. She is about 5 years old and I have had her about 2 months.
She is not eating - last time I saw her eat was on Saturday when I had her out in the garden with me, but it was only a small dandilion leaf
I have tried a variety of the plants that I normally give them (all grown in my garden) but she doesn't seem at all interested, to the point if I put food in front of her she turns away. I have bought some dried flowers from this site and she is even less interested in them.
She is still weeing (does seem to smell a bit more than normal but not sure if I am just noticing it a bit more due to it being warmer weather) and is pooing - little more runny than normal.
When I get her out she is moving around as normal but in her enclousure just sits under the UV heat lamp and occasionally goes and gets in her water dish.
I have been bathing her everyday to make sure she is hydrated and clean (she is quite a flat tortoise, and doesnt lift her back end up a lot - she can she just doesn't when walking around, due to last owner not having the correct envirnonment, and her bottom gets dirty so I have to wash it every day anyway)
The other 2 I have (one in with her, one in a separate enclosure) are fine, eating normally no change.
Nothing has been changed inside the enclousure, the tempreture under the lamp is checked daliy to be 30 - 33 degrees. Neither of them seem to go to the cooler end of the enclouse like they used to - tempreture and environment hasn't changed there so I dont really know why. The lamp is on from 10am to 10pm
I weighed them all today and the one in with her has put on 32g in the last 2 months, the one who is separate has lost 26g but Tilly has lost 107g
Is this something that can just happen and she will sort herself out or should I get her to the vets?
Widgitwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

Afternoon, I would usually say its settling in process but Tilly has lost 107g in 2 months? That's serious , I would take her to the vets asap. The urine smell if ammonia can be her kidneys failing. hope it works out, CB
Old 18-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Widgitwoo
Egg

I took her to the vet, he is unsure so has given her an anti-biotic and anti parasite in case its that - I have anti-biotics to give her every other day and if she still not eating I need to take her back on thursday with stool sample and then we will look at doing xrays and blood tests.

She still doesnt seem to be eating - I am going to separate her tonight and leave some food with her to see if she does eat anything - as I dont know if she is eating when Im not looking or if Tommy is eating everything!

The vet also mentioned that it could be because she is being kept with another one as they don't like living in groups. I got them about 2 months ago and they have always been together (as far as I'm aware)...what do you guys think? Could that be stressing her out?
Old 18-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes it can really stress them out and the other tort could be eating everything a bit like pecking order. sounds like good hands. Mostly when mine are sick I do try and separate and then leave them in peace to do as they please. they usually rally round. though the temptation is to keep checking and proding to see if still breathing. Nice and quiet is ideal. CB
Old 22-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Widgitwoo
Egg

had to take her back to the vets as she still wasn't eating.
Had an x-ray done which showed she is very constipated probably due to calcium deficiency – she didn't get a UV light before I got her so hasn’t absorbed enough in the past.
Vet has given me more meds to give her every day which sort sort out the problem and advised me to bathe her twice a day and to up the calcium powder I am giving her from twice a week to 3 times a week.
Due to so many things not being quite right when I got my 3 tortoises I am not 100% sure of the calcium powder I have been given with them.
I have Zoo Med Repti Calcium without D3
Is this ok or is there a better one I can give them?
Thanks
Old 22-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgitwoo View Post
had to take her back to the vets as she still wasn't eating.
Had an x-ray done which showed she is very constipated probably due to calcium deficiency – she didn't get a UV light before I got her so hasn’t absorbed enough in the past.
Vet has given me more meds to give her every day which sort sort out the problem and advised me to bathe her twice a day and to up the calcium powder I am giving her from twice a week to 3 times a week.
Due to so many things not being quite right when I got my 3 tortoises I am not 100% sure of the calcium powder I have been given with them.
I have Zoo Med Repti Calcium without D3
Is this ok or is there a better one I can give them?
Thanks

I would be careful this is not a bladder stone. As it is quite common in tortoises who have the same temperatures all day long, and have extra heat at night. As they become dehydrated quite easily, and a build up of calcium they don't expel becomes hard. And they can't pass the stone.
It might not be in this case, it depends on the experience of your vet.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Widgitwoo
Egg

The x-ray was very clear it was all backed up in the intestine. Looks like she has picked up a couple of stones or larger peices of cuttlefish as well which are in there - hopefully the laxatives he has given her will take effect and she will be happier and sorted soon.
Old 22-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgitwoo View Post
The x-ray was very clear it was all backed up in the intestine. Looks like she has picked up a couple of stones or larger peices of cuttlefish as well which are in there - hopefully the laxatives he has given her will take effect and she will be happier and sorted soon.
Laxitives might not work, as the stone or cuttle bone (more likely to be a (bladder stone) might be to large to pass. Time will tell.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
Gordon
Adult

I have just taken on an old tgg that was not well and she has passed a load of stones and even a piece of plastic so time will tell.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

What suhstrate has this tort been kept on please?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote