Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
Bec93
Egg

Default New owner-egyptian tortoise care

Hello! I'm new to the forum and I'm looking at getting an egyptian tortoise as i wanted something as small as possible. Of course i want to get everything perfect for when i do source one and so if anyone could give me any care tips that would be amazing!
Also, housing suggestions would be great-pet shops have tried to sell me vivariums but i have done my homework so i know they aren't good- i was considering something like this https://www.internetreptile.com/tort...-flatpack.html to start off with if anyone could give me any help i would really appreciate it-

thanks so much!

Becky
Bec93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec93 View Post
Hello! I'm new to the forum and I'm looking at getting an egyptian tortoise as i wanted something as small as possible. Of course i want to get everything perfect for when i do source one and so if anyone could give me any care tips that would be amazing!
Also, housing suggestions would be great-pet shops have tried to sell me vivariums but i have done my homework so i know they aren't good- i was considering something like this https://www.internetreptile.com/tort...-flatpack.html to start off with if anyone could give me any help i would really appreciate it-

thanks so much!

Becky
Egyptian tortoises are not the easiest of tortoises to keep. And can be very difficult to get, as they are more endangered than most tortoises.
Unless you have kept tortoises before I would suggest a horsfield tortoise as they are small and much easier to keep for a novice. Sorry to presume you are a novice, but you dont say if you have kept tortoises before.
The enclosure you have posted is ok, but the glass side is not good, as if a tortoise can see out they want to be there. Which can stress them, which in turn can cause illness.
But if the glass is removable as it says, the you could easily replace with mdf or the like:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Bec93
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Egyptian tortoises are not the easiest of tortoises to keep. And can be very difficult to get, as they are more endangered than most tortoises.
Unless you have kept tortoises before I would suggest a horsfield tortoise as they are small and much easier to keep for a novice. Sorry to presume you are a novice, but you dont say if you have kept tortoises before.
The enclosure you have posted is ok, but the glass side is not good, as if a tortoise can see out they want to be there. Which can stress them, which in turn can cause illness.
But if the glass is removable as it says, the you could easily replace with mdf or the like:0)
Hello, thanks for the reply- yes I'm a novice lol- i just loved them so i have been doing a lot of homework and reading up, I'm currently sourcing them but was just trying to get as prepared as possible
I was worried about providing enough room for an adult horfields which is why i looked into the egyptians as i want to make sure i can provide the best possible room and didn't want to give a tortoise anything sub-par ?
Thanks for the info on the glass-i will look at other models without the glass or may have a table made
Bec93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Bec, don't spend lots on a table they are so expensive and this one doesn't look too easy to clean. poop will be all over the glass too and as Sandy says the tort will try and look out yonder all the time.
I would consider another easier type of tortoise - Egyptians are beautiful but they are also hard for husbandry. They hide masses (my one doesn't mind you and is sweetest ever) , and sleep lots - you could place an ornament in a tortoise table and you would not kow the difference most of the time. (though I wouldn't be without mine). it can never go outside and mow the lawn and if stressed with noise they get ill quick. see what else is out there that is less stressful for you too perhaps - tiny rescue one needing lots of TLC, lots of sites advertise rescue torts. CB

Tags
advice, egyptian tortoise, new member