Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 10-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
jasondugo
Egg

Unhappy My Tortoise losing weight

Hi I have a Indian Star he is 4 and half years old, I'm not sure if he is ill, I give him a lot of food each day then take the rest off him which he hasn't ate a hour later. I weigh him once a month and keep a record this what they been.
Feb 320g
March 342g
April 345g
May 340g
June 330g
July 321g

He is back to the same weight he was in Feb, I've noticed the last week he not eating as much as he normally does and not pooing like normal think I've had maybe 2 off him but he is still very active running around all day.
Is this normal for his weight too drop like this will it come back up?
jasondugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondugo View Post
Hi I have a Indian Star he is 4 and half years old, I'm not sure if he is ill, I give him a lot of food each day then take the rest off him which he hasn't ate a hour later. I weigh him once a month and keep a record this what they been.
Feb 320g
March 342g
April 345g
May 340g
June 330g
July 321g

He is back to the same weight he was in Feb, I've noticed the last week he not eating as much as he normally does and not pooing like normal think I've had maybe 2 off him but he is still very active running around all day.
Is this normal for his weight too drop like this will it come back up?
I don't keep stars myself but see no one has replied. I don't think he should be going downwards, so a couple of questions:
Are his temperatures OK? What are they please? And is he warm enough overnight? What substrate is he on? Do you keep re arranging his home, or leave things as they are?

I personally wouldn't take food away (especially in a tort who is loosing weight) I never have and my torts aren't pyramided. If feeding a natural diet, supplements and good hydration they grow smooth.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

welcome Jason, I agree not to take food away and temp etc. Could he be dehydrated also, you haven't mentioned bathing at all?
I must admit this is the first year as long as Ive known where my torts have lost weight. You would expect some weight gain but most of mine outside have lost 20 grammes odd. They are eating and active but not to the extent they would usually be at this time of year. You cant kid even ones with heat on re the ambient weather. They are too smart. Keep us posted if you can and would love to see a picture, CB
Old 14-07-2016, 12:04 AM   #4
jasondugo
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
I don't keep stars myself but see no one has replied. I don't think he should be going downwards, so a couple of questions:
Are his temperatures OK? What are they please? And is he warm enough overnight? What substrate is he on? Do you keep re arranging his home, or leave things as they are?

I personally wouldn't take food away (especially in a tort who is loosing weight) I never have and my torts aren't pyramided. If feeding a natural diet, supplements and good hydration they grow smooth.
Sorry I forgot about mentioning his bathing I bath him every day in the morning for 20 minutes this has always been his routine, his temperatures are fine 35 under his bulb and 23 in cool end, at night they are around 23 so I think they is okay, his substrate are topsoil on the bottom then he has bark on top which I spray with water everyday, I haven't changed his home everything is the same has normal. I used not take food off him when he was younger but a breeder told me it could lead to over feeding.
Old 14-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

I must admit I don't do the high temps. Nothing wrong with it Im sure I just think of the penguin in Happy Feet behind the glass. Even my Egyptian is set to 26 - 29 and no heat at all cool end. This was based on the Bristol Zoo model. I have never bathed my torts for more than 7 minutes either. I know its difficult as not all Tortoises are the same but the principle husbandry is. If the ambient temp is very warm that 35 may be more and the 23. It may just be worth while dropping the cool end off and see what happens. CB
Old 14-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
jasondugo
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I must admit I don't do the high temps. Nothing wrong with it Im sure I just think of the penguin in Happy Feet behind the glass. Even my Egyptian is set to 26 - 29 and no heat at all cool end. This was based on the Bristol Zoo model. I have never bathed my torts for more than 7 minutes either. I know its difficult as not all Tortoises are the same but the principle husbandry is. If the ambient temp is very warm that 35 may be more and the 23. It may just be worth while dropping the cool end off and see what happens. CB
These temps are from all the care sheets I looked at they all say the same for Indian stars when the temps drop in winter I have to lower his light to so they stay the same or he just buries himself, I must say I do not keep him in a vivarium, he is kept in a indoor rabbet cage, has the breeder I had him off Sarah said it was bad too keep them in vivarium's it can cause problem with there lungs. Could he have parasite or anything?
Old 16-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

its hard to know what goes on under that shell sometimes. Has he dropped anymore? He is still a good weight really though went up and then down. Has he been like it before? Do you spray him and the substrate each day? I admit I don't know about Indian Stars but I know my little Egyptian hates change and when rushing about sometimes she will lose weight. If active and eating little bits im not sure you should worry ? (though the worm count suggestion is a good one if you can). 20 grammes over 5 months or could have been bladder emptied. Keep us updated if can, CB