Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 22-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Default T5 type tube at an angle?

OK, so I've got several of the long T5 desert+ tubes on the go. I think it's a good tube.

But, if I hung a tube at an angle, would that be even better? It would result in a variation in the uvb exposure at different points along the length of the tube and maybe offer the tortoise more options.

I've got a uv meter so there isn't any chance of crazy levels at the lower end.

Would be interested in any views.

thanks
Old 22-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
becciwales
Adult

I so can't answer your question scientifically, but it certainly sounds feasible, they wouldn't have the same amount of UV at all times in the wild, they may wander into shade or depending on the position of the sun it could differ

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Somebody once told me that with tubes there already is a UV gradient, the peak UVB level being in the centre then tapers away towards either end. I'm not sure if it was Frances Baines but it may not have been. T5 might be different to the old style tubes though, it might be the same all along the tube
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
Somebody once told me that with tubes there already is a UV gradient, the peak UVB level being in the centre then tapers away towards either end. I'm not sure if it was Frances Baines but it may not have been. T5 might be different to the old style tubes though, it might be the same all along the tube
I have noticed this with my T5's, I also have them hanging on chain so I can adjust the levels, the Uv can be very strong, mine have been on for the last 7-8 months and there still going strong.
The advantage of having them at an angle also gives you a larger area of light rather than focusing down in one area.
I think the new D3+ uv flood compact lamp stand allows you to have these ones at an angle
Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Andy if you are still following this. Yes the T5 tubes are great compared to old style tubes.

I've got a couple of arcadia's flood lamps and they are good as well. But the area covered by them is relatively small and I think this lamp only works really well with a set up of tortoises that are small and more or less the same size. I haven't tried the 'official' stand but made something basic out of offcuts!
Old 23-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Hi Jonathan,

I have noticed this with the flood lamps, currently using them for my hatchlings as you said they give of good UV, but small area. This is why I am going down the root to replacing my combi bulbs with these combined with a smaller wattage spot for heat while all the torts are hibernating.
Getting very fed up with the quality of the combi bulbs even the arcadia ones, especially with the costs of running five a day.
One of my tables for my male THB has a 54w T5 slimline canopy and the flood lamp with spot light and this is still cheaper to run than having the 160 w combi bulb. It has worked pretty well over the last 2 months so far!
Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi,

The Arcaida T5 lamps have an almost unnoticeable graduation throughout the lamp. It's around 5% variation from the ends to the middle of the lamp.

Yes you can have one end higher than the other, this will in effect slightly reduce the index at the highest point.

Have a try and measure it with your meter to be sure of the graduation throughout your photo gradient.

As long as the lamp is always above the animal and never to the side it dies not matter what you try in terms of fitting method.

Good luck!

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Great, so that's a yes and I think I will try a tilting tube, and have a mess about with the uv meter. If I like the way it's looking, I'll try the torts under it.