Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
JackieL
Sub Adult

Ben looks older than my male, my males 6. He could possibly be 9 or 10. His shell is a bit deformed like you mentioned, he's an odd shape the poor little chap!!

I haven't seen a close enough pic of his tail area to say whether I think he is definitely a male or not. Does the tail appear to have like a hook on the end?

The older chap Bill looks like an ibera to me, but I am by no means an expert, that's an educated guess!!!
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Sid&Nancy
Egg

I will go taker a better picture of his 'roodybits'!

His shell looks minging, tbh. Flakey and pale - as does Bill's - no shine. What can I give them to make sure they get all that they need and really improve that?

I grow my own veg/clover/weeds/strawberries for them (and for the guineas and the rabbits) - but is there anything that's really good for improving their shells in particular?

I'd rather not give them the shop bought powder stuff - I'd rather 'go' the natural route.

BabyBen has 'young eyes' - a youthful look. I also thought @10 years old - as Sid is 15ish. His skin is yellowish though, and scales very dry/flakey. He thourghly enjoyed his bath, which I will do daily from now on. Is there anything I could add to the water?

Bill just looks a wise ol' man, Bless him! He has such attitude and charisma, he's just Fab.
Sid&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
JackieL
Sub Adult

I'm by no means as knowledgeable as some of the other members on here. I guess dependant on how the damage was caused would decipher the treatment required?

Obviously the correct UVB and correct basking temperatures are something to be going on with. Bathing daily, correct food (which you know).

I don't think you can undo the damage that has already been caused but you can certainly help prevent further damage being done.

Pyramiding from poor diet can't be reversed as far as I am aware, it can be halted as such.

My male horsfield came to me with slight pyramiding, his was due to poor diet and being kept in a vivarium. I haven't managed to change his shell but I have certainly done my best for it not to get any worse. He is bright in himself and to me of course the most handsome horsfield going !!!!!
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Yes Ben is a male Horsfields tortoise, Testudo horsfieldii horsfieldii.

Bill is a male Algerian spur-thigh, Testudo graeca graeca. Bill needs to see a vet ASAP. The base of his tail is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo swollen. It shouldn't look like that. He either has an infection or a stone stuck there. When at the vets make sure you get them to do an x-ray.

Danny
Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
Sid&Nancy
Egg

..BabyBen's bum..
Old 05-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
Yes Ben is a male Horsfields tortoise, Testudo horsfieldii horsfieldii.

Bill is a male Algerian spur-thigh, Testudo graeca graeca. Bill needs to see a vet ASAP. The base of his tail is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo swollen. It shouldn't look like that. He either has an infection or a stone stuck there. When at the vets make sure you get them to do an x-ray.

Danny

Thank you Danny - from behind, when he arrived, I said that his bottom looked swollen from under his shell.

The note he arrived with said he'd had a cold a couple of months ago and was treated with AB's (injections) - I have that Vet's contact numbers to give to my Vet.
I will take him to the Vets tomorrow and ask for an Xray.

Do you think he'll be OK? At 66, I'd hate for him to now arrive here and the prognosis not be good
Old 05-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

That I don't know (if he'll be okay or not) as I don't have him "in hand". Just have to make sure the vet you go to is a good reptile vet with some experience with tortoises.

Danny
Old 05-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
Mrs Frog
Adult

Hope all goes well for them and the vet can make him better,you need good news,try not to worry xx Its great that we have Danny to help with tortoise problems
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #19
Sid&Nancy
Egg

When he had a bath here, he really relaxed and drank (his owner had said he never drank)..
After a good ramble about the garden and a good feed, he passed a big (sorry to be graphic!!) firm but healthy looking poo - so if he had a blockage, surely that wouldn't have happened? He's also chirpy.. not lethargic..

My Vet is Fab, and he'll check him over thourghly tomorrow - but I am thinking if Bill had a blockage, what he passed would be 'overflow' (runny/grotty) not a healthy looking, easily passed poo?
*fretting*!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

If he pooed, than most likely it is an infection.

Danny