Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 14-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
DAISY
Adult

Default Guinea pig question

Any guinea pig owners able to offer a bit of advice?
My daughters 2 guinea pigs suddenly seem to be putting on weight quite quickly and have ravenous appetites all of a sudden. They are about 18months old and females. The change in appetite and size is quite noticible and they seem to be drinking alot more as well although I've put that down to their sudden liking for dried guinea pig food. They are their normal happy selves, very vocal and get lots of excercise. They have eaten alot more grass than normal as they were outside evryday during the brief warm spell.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
laine21
Hatchling

Phantom pregnancy? years ago when we bred them, one year two of our females had phantoms....just wishful thinking on their part.

4 Leopard Tortoises, 2 Baby Herman Hatchlings, 2 dogs, 1 guinea pig, 2 daughters and 1 incredibly wonderful patient partner!
laine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Toni115
Adult

Could it be worms??
Old 14-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
DAISY
Adult

Wouldnt thay loose weight with worms and not gain?

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
Old 14-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Toni115
Adult

Yeah I suppose they would, I was thinking along the lines of a bloated belly rather than fat. Are they gaining weight all over?
Old 14-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
rodneypig
Incubating

It may be that, as you say the increase in dry food intake has caused them to drink more and that because of this they are putting on weight, however it could also be a kidney problem or an ovarian cyst. I would say as they are both showing the same signs that it is more likely to be something simple like a touch of bloat, if they have been eating excessive amounts of grass suddenly. There not called pigs for nothing!!
It may be worth a trip to your vets if you are worried.
rodneypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
helen1
Sub Adult

Mine did this some years ago, the change of diet, extra fluid and grass could be the cause-it may not be weight just bloating. Personally I would go back to the original diet, if they are drinking so much I would be concerned about the effect of the diet on kidneys.
Old 14-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I was reading something a while ago that said too much dried food can cause kidney problems. I had kidney problems with a couple a few years ago, but since giving more grass, hay and greens I have had no problems.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 01:39 AM   #9
DAISY
Adult

Thanks everyone.Will cut back on the dried food to be safe and see how they go. They already eat plenty of grass hay etc so sure they wont miss it too much.
Think they may have got used to my brother spoiling them when I was away as they squealing for treats everytime they see me. Will have to give him a talking to.

Rach