Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
Toni115
Adult

Default question for rabbit owners

Hi everyone, I have a 14 week old dwarf lop - male.

My questions are:- Is it best to get him neutered, and if so at what age? Also, how would this change his temperement?

At the moment he is friendly, he will come to you (nervously) and take food from your hands, but he doesn't like being picked up, I understand some rabbits don't like this and thats fine, but i wondered if having him neutered will change him at all??
Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

I personnaly would persist with the handling, make sure he,s well supported and I know some say you should pick them up by the scruff but I don,t like doing that and always pick them up around the body, give him plenty of fuss and I,m sure he will get to like it or at least tolerate it, he needs to be handlerble even if its just for trips to the vets and for checking him underneath for problems such as fly strike, long nails etc if you don,t persist he will possibly become worse to pick up as he gets older I don,t know the best age for neutering as we never had our rabbit done but I,m sure your vet could tell you.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Toni115
Adult

I suppose what is worrying me is, if I keep on trying to pick him up and he doesnt like it, that i will be scaring him even more, I dont want him to be terrified everytime i go near him

I am probably worrying too much
Old 08-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Shazza4505
Hatched

Send a message via Yahoo to Shazza4505

Hiya.

Males can be neutered from 5 months. I prefer to wait until 6 months old though. Remember, you do not starve rabbits before an anaesthetic, as they cannot vomit, so fasting is pointless. It can also be dangerous to starve a rabbit. They need constant access to hay to keep their gut working.

The operation will not change his personality, but it will calm down known male traits. It will prevent spraying and mating rituals. It should also relax him, as the phrase "at it like rabbits" is true, rabbits, pre op, do have high testosterone levels and a one track mind. It is definatly highly adviseable. Also, although it is not as common in males, it helps prevent reproductive cancers.

I would not suggest you scruff a rabbit unless it is really necessary. When you lift a rabbit, ensure you support his rear, if the rear is not supported and the rabbit kicks out, he could break his spine.

Rabbits are not all too keen on heights as they dont feel safe. This will be why your bunny is scared. To bond with a rabbit you need to learn to talk rabbit. The best way to bond is to sit on the floor, and allow your bunny to approach you. Let him sniff you, and step on you, but dont try to touch him. Then when your rabbit is quite settled offer a nose rub. (One finger rubbed from between the eyes to the ears). In bunny langauge a nose rub means that he is the top bunny. Your bunny will enjoy nose rubs (i have never met a rabbit who didn't).

With regards to lifting your rabbit. As was previously said, you need to do daily bottom checks to ensure there is no wetness or poo stuck to him. Both these things attract flies and can cause flystrike. The more you lift your rabbit, the happier he will be with it being done. Talk to him, then give him a nose rub, once he is relaxed having a nose rub, gently lift him. This is far less stressful than chasing him about a cage. Support him, and make sure he feels safe. If you are uneasy, then sit down and let him sit on your lap (bear in mind he will likely jump off)

Lastly, remember you need to get your bunny vaccinated against myxi every 6 months, and against VHD every year. This vaccinations are essential to try and prevent fatal illnesses.

Really good bunny behavior site - http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_intro.html
Shazza4505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Toni115
Adult

Thanks both of you for the advice

he does like a nose rub!! what i have been doing is sitting in front of the hutch and opening the door of the lower floor and letting him come out, he comes out so far and has a sniff around and then i rub his nose and he is fine. As soon as hands go near him he jumps back in!! but i will persevere with this and just let him come to me and not touch him.

The website looks really interesting and i will have a good look later, thanks for that

he is booked in for jabs next week

He is a lovely boy and seems very content,
Old 08-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Shazza4505
Hatched

Awww he sounds lovely. You have only had hgim a few days and so far he seems to have settled in really well. I am pleased for you. You will get there, its a learning experience for you both. Every new animal is, no matter how many of the same species you have had, every one is different.

If you need any help or advice i am pretty bunny savvy. My tortoise knowledge is a bit limited (learning on the job) but bunnies, i can usually help with .
Old 08-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Toni115
Adult

Thankyou Shazza, I appreciate that!! I will probably end up driving you nuts
Old 09-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Shazza4505
Hatched

Dont be daft, i love talking about rabbits.