Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 16-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Default Screened limestone

Does anyone use screened limestone that's for garden use as a supplement? I have a grapevine and someone told me to use it on the plant otherwise the grapes would be bitter so I bought some and as far as I can make out, there are no other ingredients in it. I remember Kirkie getting limestone chips at one time but I've never seen them on sale around here. I have cuttlefish bone but the torts have been biting bits off the concrete paving slabs which of course contains lime. Link https://www.lovethegarden.com/produc...-soil-improver
According to the information sheets it's just limestone. They are little round balls

Last edited by Alan1; 16-06-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
Does anyone use screened limestone that's for garden use as a supplement? I have a grapevine and someone told me to use it on the plant otherwise the grapes would be bitter so I bought some and as far as I can make out, there are no other ingredients in it. I remember Kirkie getting limestone chips at one time but I've never seen them on sale around here. I have cuttlefish bone but the torts have been biting bits off the concrete paving slabs which of course contains lime. Link https://www.lovethegarden.com/produc...-soil-improver
According to the information sheets it's just limestone. They are little round balls
I have a grape vine as the tortoises can eat young leaves of it. I don't use any supplement for them and the grapes are fine to eat:0) not that they are big enough to really enjoy.
If you think in the wild nobody screens calcium there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

https://www.stonefirms.com/products/

You could try these people Alan i have used them in the past for cut stone for work and they are very helpful I'm sure if you asked the would send you a sample.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I have a grape vine as the tortoises can eat young leaves of it. I don't use any supplement for them and the grapes are fine to eat:0) not that they are big enough to really enjoy.
Our soil here is very acidic which is why the grapes (and some other fruits) need lime in the soil apparently, to make it more alkaline. This is what the local gardeners are telling me anyway, I've not got much idea about gardening at all

It was only after buying this product for the grape plant that I thought about letting the torts at it and I was really just wanting to be sure the stuff didn't contain anything else at all other than natural lime
Old 16-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
https://www.stonefirms.com/products/

You could try these people Alan i have used them in the past for cut stone for work and they are very helpful I'm sure if you asked the would send you a sample.
Cheers Gordon
Old 18-06-2017, 01:51 AM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post

Is your grapevine indoors or out Sandy? I have just brought one from A!do £5!

I got a Russian vine/ mile a minute but its a no feed on tortoise table (despite several friends feeding it!)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Is your grapevine indoors or out Sandy? I have just brought one from A!do £5!

I got a Russian vine/ mile a minute but its a no feed on tortoise table (despite several friends feeding it!)
I have a Russian Vine and have always fed in sparingly and continue to do so as mine love it!

Going back to calcium I always buy a large tub of limestone flour from agricultural suppliers that is designed for horses.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
sandy
Adult

Sorry just got back from roasting France.
My grape is outside and flourishes:0)
And like Mary I always use tubbed limestone flour from a horse retailer:0) Cheap and cheerful.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I bought a large tub of limestone flour once from Harbro and the torts just ignored it
Old 19-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
I bought a large tub of limestone flour once from Harbro and the torts just ignored it
I sprinkle it on their favourite food and they have no choice but to eat it especially when the weather is like this and they are very very hungry!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote