Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 03-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #21
DAISY
Adult

I love aquariums so beautiful to look at, but can only just about manage goldfish. Did have a goldfish that lasted 10 years though. I make hubby keep his aquaruims at work cos I know I'd end up looking after them and I'd probably kill them. Me and tanks dont go.

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #22
ruthieroo
Egg

Wow that looks great , my husband would be very jealous of that tank .

He has just started a marine tank and wants to keep puffers, only trouble is means he can't have corals or crabs which I wanted , although we do have live rock which fasinates me its full of alsorts of little kritters and my daughter has taken over our tropical tank , we have five female fighters in there she wants to introduce a male and have babies .

Do you use an under gravel filtration system ?

Ruth
ruthieroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #23
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

sorry to intrupt but ruthieroo don't add a male to the females....i used to breed bettas and you need a good 200 plus mini tanks to raise the fish, also most of the females will be bullyed and may die during breeding, they are also hard to sell unless you sell them as one bulk order.

also puffers need to be kept on there own and for a beginner marine tank they are extremely hard to keep alive. they also grow a good size ...even the smaller versions. i would personally give it a few years before keeping them.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #24
ruthieroo
Egg

Hi yes we are not intending to let her have a male fighter as I wouldn't know what to do with all the babies , just what she would like she is only seven .

With regards to marine tank , hubby is aware that pufer needs to be on his own and tank is big enough with an outside filtration tank , we have a great fish shop near us who have provided us with some great advice and quality fish .

We currently have a damsel getting the water quality just right in the tank and will be taking this back to the shop once it is and exchanging for a valentine puffer .
Hubby is not new to fish keeping and his step father has also been doing it for over twenty years and breeds and supplies pet stores so we have lots of advice on hand .

Any advice greatfully taken on board though and thankyou for warning on betta's

Ruth
Old 04-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #25
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

o ok just that you said he has just started a marine tank, thought u ment he was a novice...nevermind then, adding a dead prawn to the water will greatly increase the water quality. by outside filteration, do you mean a sump. good luck witht he puffer, just hope he has a good enough protein skimmer.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #26
ruthieroo
Egg

will pass that on to him thanks ,its me thats the novice but then again there not my fish i prefer pets you can actually do somthing with .

I like looking at the tanks think there quite relaxing but thats about as far is it goes , not too keen on the brine shimp in my fridge either

Ruth
Old 04-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #27
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

get him to breed his own shrimp, evtremely easy to do. the eggs can be brought from fish shops, i do this as the fresher the better. i keep dead rats and mice in my frezzer, ur a wimp lol.