Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 14-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
DAISY
Adult

Default ****zu question

Does anyone here keep ****zus? Can anyone tell me what they are like as family pets?
To cut a long story short I have been offerd a 6 wk old ****zu from someone I know and much as I have fallen in love with one little chappie I know nothing about the breed as I never saw myself as a ****zu owner, but he is gorgeous.Ive been googling ****zus for days and not found answers to some of my questions. What are they like to house train, (one of my most important issues after having the beagles) what are they like with kids and other animals.Ive heard they can be demanding, would one be happy not being the centre of attention in a house full of animals.All the love is shared equally here How hard are their coats to care for (a minor issue as the girls love to brush the dogs) And how vocal are they.
I think thats the main issues. The fact that I havent come to a deffinate answer wheither to get him makes me wonder if its the breed for me, I had been considoring another lab or a st bernard before I met him. But that can wait till next year
Ive got some time off work at the moment and when I do go back (evenings) there is nearly always someone here so I would like to get him this weekend if I decide so I can get him into a routine so advice asap would be appreciated,I would also kick myself if he went somewhere else and then I decided yes. Ive already got him a collar, bowls, bed and toys so Im half way to saying yes
Sorry for the long post.

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
babybee
Egg

Hi Rach

Shih' tzu's are dear little dogs. They really are wonderful.
My sister bought one, Lola, in January and she will be year old in October. She is a beautiful dog. She was house trained within days (I'm talking less than a week, not 356 days!), reliably so. We were brought up with Bull Terriers and Staffies so my sis was expecting a mad tornado that chewed up everything. She was pleasantly surprised.
She has the sweetest temperament loves a fuss but does not get jealous, has not chewed up (being an undershot breed helps i think ). She loves playing but also loves sleeping. At night she sleeps by my sisters bed and will bark if she needs to go out for a wee, or put her paws on my sisters bed and try to nudge my sister awake.
In fact, my sister is so taken with the breed she got another bitch, Lulu (sorry about the names i did try to persuade my sis otherwise ) who she has had for six weeks. Lulu was also housetrained within days and although more playful than Lola is still a real sweetheart.
I have fallen completely in love with them and if i didn't work such long hours i would get a couple.
Their coats are fine, brushing and a trip to parlour every 4-6 months (but not cut too short, looks horrible).
Health wise, be aware that hair around eyes can grow wild and into eyes and poke them so best to keep cut really short. Also prone to umbilical hernias that will need repairing.

They have lots of energy and can go for long walks but are also happy to sit on your lap.

Sorry for long post i just love these dogs.

Hope this has been of some help. PM me if you need any more info.

Nicola
babybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
laine21
Hatchling

Hi Rach, I have a little girl Shih Tzu called Angel. At the moment she is so sweet lying by my feet with her head on my ankle. She hates being brushed, hates being trimmed, she regards it as a game, and we have to chase her and catch her!
They are sweet dogs, can be very defensive, but all little dogs can be like that. She is almost 4, but still acts like a daft puppy! She sleeps in my room, on her own duvet. They are very intelligent and inquisitive dogs, she loves watching the Leopards, and always lets us know if one has toppled or is climbing. She is a good torty nanny, but she NEVER has contact with them, she's too playful and would think they were a toy.

She loves watching Richard when he is constructing anything for the tortoises. She fell in love with the little Russian we fostered and sat by the empty enclosure for days!

We house trained her by using the puppy training pads you get from the petshop and some supermarkets. They love squeaky toys, ours 'sings' to hers when she makes it squeak. She is our first Shih Tzu, we have always had spaniels before, and I would never ever part with her, we are thinking of letting her have a litter, but it would break my heart to see them go.
You will never regret getting one. I'll pm you with my home number if you want to know anything else.

4 Leopard Tortoises, 2 Baby Herman Hatchlings, 2 dogs, 1 guinea pig, 2 daughters and 1 incredibly wonderful patient partner!
laine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
DAISY
Adult

Thanks very much both of you. You both got me sold. A few others I spoke to also had the same lovely stories.
Was just on way to girls ballet lesson when I read your post so after got there rang hubby and asked if he could go and get him for me TONIGHT. Well he got in touch and I was half an hour late making up my mind. Both the little boys had just been sold and I am gutted . I could have had one of the 2 girls she was keeping herself left out of the litter of 9 but only on breeders terms meaning I get the dog for free but until I have bread 3 litters from her which we split the profits on she is still theoreticaly hers. Ive said no,I dont even know if id want to breed 1 litter when she is old enough let alone 3. What if I decided not to, would she want my dog back. She is a lovely lady, but I wouldnt like to be tied lto anyone like that.So looks like I'm shih tzu less and am quite dissapointed. Had a feeling this would happen as I'd told her to give me till monday but if she sold him in the mean time that was ok. Realise now it wasnt okay.
Thanks for all your lovely stories, offers of help and the pm, will keep it saved incase I ever get one if thats okay. And thanks for all your help.

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
Old 14-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
laine21
Hatchling

From what I've heard, the little boys can be rather rampant, and will 'exercise' his right to be a boy at every possible occasion!
I've only ever bought bitches, they are very lovable, and my Angel is a real baby!

4 Leopard Tortoises, 2 Baby Herman Hatchlings, 2 dogs, 1 guinea pig, 2 daughters and 1 incredibly wonderful patient partner!
Old 14-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
DAISY
Adult

Oh maybe a lucky escape then as all I have are bitches two of them not spayed but I had planned on having the poor chappie done because of the girls. Thought maybe a bit of male around the house may have cheered hubby up as apart from one of my chipmunks we all girls here 8)

Rach

Old 14-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
babybee
Egg

Oh sorry about that Rach.
agree with you not wanting to keep her as a breeding bitch
Hopefully you'll find a shih'tzu at another time that just feels right.
babybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
laine21
Hatchling

Rach, have a look at this site, they rehome mainly ex-breeding dogs, usually they are a few years old, and there are usually a few Shih Tzu's and lots of spaniels. Be Warned, this may pull on the heart strings.

Old 14-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
DAISY
Adult

Default Guess what I got

What a big fat liar my hubby is. Yes the puppy had gone, but to him.
Lying on my couch I have the cutest little 6 wk old boy, I know hes a bit young ,but his mum hasnt been able to feed him for the last 2 weeks and he's all mine if I can get to him for the girls. I am so excited and know I wont get to sleep tonight. Think I be walking round like a drunken woman, wot with my baby torts and now a little puppy, feels like christmas.
Thanks everyone for talking me into it.

Rach

Old 14-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #10
laine21
Hatchling

Congratulations!!!!! They are so loveable, he will soon be devoted to you!
They are absolute babies, be prepared to take your baby boy to bed, make him a nest next to your side of the bed, with an old pillow and an old t-shirt or jumper of yours, he will latch on to you as his mum, and wont want to be away from you. I took my Angel on her second night, the first night she cried, she has been with me ever since.

Enjoy your new baby boy.