Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
CJ
Sub Adult

Default Another horsfield!

I have decided, after finding such enjoyment in caring for Charlie, that I might like a little friend for her !! I don't
think I will get another until October time as I think it will be easier to quarantine using tort tables, rather than splitting
the outside enclosure (although if anyone thinks differently I'd be pleased to hear your opinions!). My question is,
Charlie (Charlotte!) is female, so would it be better to get her a little boyfriend or girlfriend

Any advice appreciated!
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

I personally would rather get a new tortoise for quarenteening earlier in the year. As getting
out in the sunshine is far better for getting to know your tortoise.

But its down to choice<g>.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
CJ
Sub Adult

I hadn't thought of it like that! Just wondering how I could adapt my outside enclosure - will need some thought.
Would you recommend a girl or boy?
Old 19-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
DAISY
Adult

I would go for a girlfriend and agree with Sandy, it would be much better to get a new one before summer, plenty of time to get to know it before next winters hibernation. A simple divide in your outdoor accomodation shouldnt be that hard, or even a temporary set up for the new one.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
LilyLoo
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to LilyLoo Send a message via Yahoo to LilyLoo

I agree with Rach and Sandy, I did this last year. It's fairly easy to divide your enclosure. I would try and get another female for Charlie as male Horsfields can be a bit aggresive. I have to keep my male permanantly separated from the others as he continually bites them! . It can be very difficult to find female Horsfields though, you might be able to find a breeder that incubates the eggs for female hatchlings.
Old 19-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
CJ
Sub Adult

Thanks Sandy, Rach and Lily! I've only just made Charlie's first enclosure for the summer, but it's a good size so
could probably be divided up! And Charlie will need a new tort table for next winter, so will be able to plan for a bigger one! I'm going to have a look around for a breeder in my area and see if anyone has any females. I'll happily wait though, I want to get it right, even if it means I don't get another until next year.