Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 18-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
beth_may
Egg

Question Outdoor housing dilemma

Hi everyone

I have an 18-month old Russia tort, who I'm keen to get out into the garden this summer as much as possible. However I wouldn't put him outside on wet days.

I have two enclosures for him at the moment.

1. His usual indoor pen, decent size ~3ftx2ft (he's tiny, so this is a good size for him). Not very portable, but can be moved out for the summer.

2. His travel pen, for when i visit friends and take him with me. It's an under-bed storage bin ~2ft4 x 1ft5- obviously a fair bit smaller and I'm worried he'd get a bit bored if he was in there all summer, although he seems fine at the moment. Easy to move daily.

My dilemma is: Which pen should I put outside? I want him to have plenty of room for stomping, but am worried that it might rain the whole summer meaning he has to stay indoors in his small pen. Does it even matter that much, given his tiny size (5cm SCL)?

thanks in advance!
beth_may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Finfendy
Egg

Hello, welcome to the forum.
I am by no means an expert as I only got my torts on Sunday, I'm sure someone with a bit more experience will come along.
Do you have space in your garden for a more permanent enclosure? I'd be a bit concerned about drainage with moveable one.
For my 2 tiny torts (less than a year) I got a 4ft x 4 ft raised bed, dug about 5 inches under and lined with weed membrane and about 6inches of rocks / rubble for drainage. Then filled with topsoil. Think we got it all sorted in the space of a weekend.
Finfendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfendy View Post
Hello, welcome to the forum.
I am by no means an expert as I only got my torts on Sunday, I'm sure someone with a bit more experience will come along.
Do you have space in your garden for a more permanent enclosure? I'd be a bit concerned about drainage with moveable one.
For my 2 tiny torts (less than a year) I got a 4ft x 4 ft raised bed, dug about 5 inches under and lined with weed membrane and about 6inches of rocks / rubble for drainage. Then filled with topsoil. Think we got it all sorted in the space of a weekend.
Brilliant idea.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

welcome Beth May, yes super idea from FF. The enclosed pen will be a swimming pool so watch out there - or plastic heats up massively. Can you buy a cheap veggie trough - they do sell them for £5.00 1metre x 1 metre? Horsfields thrive outside and as long as not damp all the time he will flourish. Wet and rain fine if warm, damp and cold kills. so with this in mind - tiny area grass with dry area to boot is ideal. and house to retreat into. Finfendy has posted pickies which are brilliant, CB
Old 19-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Jan W
Sub Adult

Hello and welcome.

Good advice has been offered. I think everyone would say the more you can have them out the better and latest is we are going to have a great summer. Just keep in mind will also need shade too.

Love to see a picture. What is his name?
Old 19-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

A cage would be ideal. The type used for rabbits indoors. You can get big ones, 5 foot. I suggest this as Russians are brilliant escape artists! The cage would be: mobile, escape and predator proof. You can add a small fish tank on its side or a solid propegator as a warm up area and you can decorate them, including sight breakers, real plants etc.

Dont forget if you going to leave him out unattended to drill holes in the base and pop some crocks over so theres plenty of drainage if it rains. Also remember to provide shade on hot days if your not around.

You can get these cages very cheap 2nd hand which is ok because as they are plastic they can be scrubbed and disinfected, good as new!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #7
beth_may
Egg

Thanks for all your replies!
The raised bed idea is a great one, but unfortunately my own housing situation is not permanent, so I can't make a permanent structure for my tort at the moment Certainly something I'd want to do in the near future though. I think some of the modifications suggested would work for his big pen - he's already got a little house and I think a ground level propagator would be a good addition. The drainage solutions are helpful too. I'm looking to put in some plants in pots as well for him to snack on

His name is Thor, but I haven't worked out how to post pictures yet!
beth_may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Lynnie Lou
Incubating

The most important thing out of all of this is he's getting some real sun. Amazing the effect that can have as opposed to our indoor UV bulbs. So whatever you decide, remember he's getting the best of the best by being outdoors.

My son is a joiner and he's built me allsorts. The one he built recently is a huge square rabbit run type thing and underneath is a built in tortoise table. I lined it with tarp (put a few holes in for drainage) ton of coco coir, rocks, broken plant pots for hides and voila!

Remember to cover though. We have Seagulls here who are constantly on the watch for a crunchy snack. Good luck.
Old 21-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

can only do what you can do BM. Horsfields are pretty good torts in runs etc so sure he will love it, CB

Tags
outdoor enclosure