Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Finfendy
Egg

Default Nearly ready!!

Picking up my torts on Sunday!!!!

We have had a busy few weeks getting ready... but the table is complete, still needs another coat of paint and some doors and a shelf. The top for the tortoises is done though, just need to trim the pond liner and I'll take some photos.
Outside enclosure, I just had a bulk bag of topsoil turn up so will finish filling that and planting it. Mixing the topsoil with playsand again I will take some photos once it's planted. The Mr still needs to make a lid for it.

So a few final questions: Do I have everything?? I have the table set up with the Arcadia D3 lamp, basking temp hitting about 31-32 degrees, rest of the table varies, coolest part stays at room temperature. Slate for eating and water bowl etc.
I also have a set of scales, washing up bowl (for baths), nutrobal, cleaner stuff, plant sprayer, various thermometers. Have a forgotten anything??

My breeder is offering me 2 CB 2015 or 2 CB 2014 which have been chipped etc. The CB 14's are slightly more expensive as they have been chipped? Is there any benefit to getting the slightly older ones other than they have been chipped?

What do I need to look for when i pick up my babies? The signs of a healthy baby tort?

As I said, I will add some photos so you can see what we have done, probably tomorrow.
Finfendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

I think it's a personal decision whether you have the 14 or 15's, but if they're already chipped, that's one less thing for you to do in the future.

I'm sure others will suggest other things but look for nice bright eyes, check no sign of bubbles or wetness around the nares, no rasping, they can walk well, no softness of their shell, that kind of thing. Trust your instinct and ask as many questions as you want.

Looking forward to seeing the photos. You must be so excited!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

I agree with Emma , I think she's covered most obvious things there. When you get them home, allow plenty of time for them to settle in, may be even up to two weeks. Tortoises don't like change, so they can go off their food for a while, just keep offering it tho,soak them every day, they might not be very active for a while, just be patient. On the other hand they might surprise you.

With the top soil, I wouldn't add any play sand, there's no need and it can irritate their eyes. Good luck.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Jan W
Sub Adult

How exciting!

I would only add to look at their shells shape carefully. I was very green on this one, and Bertie was slightly lumpy, but has actually evened out quite a bit.

Indoors I put their water bowl inside a low level plant pot holder, with some stones round. I found water went everywhere!

The great thing on this forum is that you keep learning and tweaking everything. Although my outside area has been royally revamped this year and still work in progress.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

super job good luck. All covered by others but personally I would turn them upside down and test their natural wiggle - shows strength in the legs and should go mad to get upright. If not keen on this place them on your hand and see strength in their legs this way - ie can they hold their body weight.
You don't mention food, try and avoid pellets as they can bung them up ,natural best and if florette make sure out of the fridge room temperature - cold foods not the best. Oh and cuttle fish. I am amazed how they devour it even tiny ones. Good for beaks. Not good for the fish.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfendy View Post
Picking up my torts on Sunday!!!!

We have had a busy few weeks getting ready... but the table is complete, still needs another coat of paint and some doors and a shelf. The top for the tortoises is done though, just need to trim the pond liner and I'll take some photos.
Outside enclosure, I just had a bulk bag of topsoil turn up so will finish filling that and planting it. Mixing the topsoil with playsand again I will take some photos once it's planted. The Mr still needs to make a lid for it.

So a few final questions: Do I have everything?? I have the table set up with the Arcadia D3 lamp, basking temp hitting about 31-32 degrees, rest of the table varies, coolest part stays at room temperature. Slate for eating and water bowl etc.
I also have a set of scales, washing up bowl (for baths), nutrobal, cleaner stuff, plant sprayer, various thermometers. Have a forgotten anything??

My breeder is offering me 2 CB 2015 or 2 CB 2014 which have been chipped etc. The CB 14's are slightly more expensive as they have been chipped? Is there any benefit to getting the slightly older ones other than they have been chipped?

What do I need to look for when i pick up my babies? The signs of a healthy baby tort?

As I said, I will add some photos so you can see what we have done, probably tomorrow.

You dont have to chip them unless you intend to sell them or breed them in the future:0)
You can also have them chipped later when they are bigger if needs be:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
Finfendy
Egg

Thank you everyone, it is very exciting now, still got a few finishing touches to do but at a stage I feel comfortable the enclosures are ready for torts.

Oh yes, I didn't mention food... I have planted 4 big pots up, 2 with weed seeds from SW and 2 with shop bought plants (removing the older leaves and first flowers), these are in case I'm not about to feed the torts, I can just say to the Mr or the girls "they can eat anything from those pots". The weed seeds are just starting to germinate but I have just been checking the tortoise table website and I think I have plenty to feed torts in my garden. More plants on the way too.

Ok, so pictures:

Outside:

These are just temporary enclosures for the babies, they will get much bigger enclosures in the next year or 2. Got a couple more plants for the outdoor one to go yet, including carex grass for shade.
Trim to the indoor table being added on Saturday.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

fantastic ! lovely areas and nice photographs , thanks for sharing. My only observation is the little rock house might need to be away from the direct heat a little. nice cool shady area, those canopy things really do pump out the heat so I'd invest in an IR and check your temps. I do mine daily as it reaches a high range over period of time. my ones peak at 29 but first time ever today it got to 37 !!! no reason I can think of other than ambient temps indoors. And good luck with your spider plant...very nice, but we could place bets on how long before they dig it up ! I say two days ! CB
Old 12-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

Agree with CB, move the little rock house away from the heat, it will get too hot, and away from the heat it will make a nice little cool place to hide.
The out side place looks fantastic , and the upturned plastics box will get nice and warm , like a green house, but they could also do with another hide, for shelter and shade. But looks great.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #10
Finfendy
Egg

Well if they are the only comments then i am happy nice easy fixes, i have moved the rock house, I had monitored the temp on the top of this and the highest it read was 31 degrees, I've moved it back a couple of inches though.
There are 2 little plant pots in the outside one, I'll try and find some bigger ones in the shed and replace them... or flutter my eye lids at the Mr and see if he can make a hide for them.